Chapter 9

colours fade

"Dad?" Cade opened the door and peeked through. I wasn't gamed to peek. I wasn't sure if I was even gamed to tell Father I made him breakfast.

Looking down at the pieces of toast and eggs I couldn't help but feel proud. I did that.

I have never cooked anything before yet I was able to make my father breakfast. I just hope he likes them.

"It's ok Cade, come in."

We walked into the office and saw piles of paperwork everywhere around the room. I was overwhelmed just looking at it all. Cade looked a bit taken aback looking around as well.

I would have thought this was normal but looking at Cade's reaction. I could tell it was not. "Everything alright Dad?"

Father sighed and then rubbed his temples. "I wish." He muttered. His eyes softened when he looked down at me. "Hello darling, what brings you here?"

I shrugged my shoulders and let the plate in my hands drop slightly. I didn't understand what I was doing. Why I was trying to get this family to like me? My mum is on her deathbed and here I am making my father breakfast.

Forgetting about her.

"Oakley made you breakfast." Father's eyes landed on the plate and I could see the corners of his lips lift. "Well, I am ravished. what did you make me?"

I frowned and didn't say anything.

"Oakley?" Cade smiled. I shrugged my shoulders and sighed to myself.

"Just toast and eggs," I mumbled.

"Well, it smells delicious."

I set the plate on a clear spot on the desk and then quickly shoved my hands into my pockets. A bit of satisfaction filled me as I saw him eating my breakfast. I wanted to watch to see if he would finish.

If he finishes then I know he likes it.

"This is delicious oakley! The best eggs on toast anyone has ever made me."

I couldn't help the large smile on my face. "Really?"

"Really." I proudly looked up at Cade and mentally thanked him for helping me. I know Cade did most of the work on the breakfast, but it was my first time cooking. And now that I know I can make eggs on toast. It makes me excited for when Mum comes back. I will be able to make her lots of eggs on toast.

...if we can afford it.

Shaking that thought. When Mum wakes up, I will try and make things better for Mum. Hopefully, there might be a way I can make money for us. Then we can have food together and cook together.