10 | Breaking Eggs For A Hundred Cupcakes

The very next day I was already back outside Everett's house.

I tugged at my collar and ran a hand through my hair. Checking my watch, I realized I had perhaps come too early. I shifted my weight from foot to foot, trying to decide whether to ring the bell or whether to come back later.

The door swung open and Everett glared at me. "What are you doing standing out there for so long?"

He was wearing light blue denim shorts and a white T-shirt that looked good against his olive skin. His hair looked like he had tried hard to brush it, but it still stuck out wildly. It sort of reminded me of a cute hedgehog.

"I just got here," I protested.

He rolled his eyes. "I saw you through the window dude. Come on in."

"Have you decided what we're baking today," I followed him to the kitchen, "or do we have to find a good story first?"

"I already found one! I was reading all night."

"You stayed up all night reading recipe stories?" I asked in amazement.

"Er, that amongst other things. Anyway." Everett brightened. "We're making cupcakes!"

"Oh okay, I've done those before."

"We're making a hundred cupcakes."

"Okay, I have not done that before." My jaw went slack. "Why a hundred?"

"The cafe is hosting some kid's birthday tomorrow," he explained. "There's a whole party happening on the rooftop area."

"Are we making themed cupcakes for it?" I asked uncertainly.

"Ahh." Everett pondered. "They said the party was going to have a fairy theme or something; it's for a six year old. But they said I can just make chocolate cupcakes. I'm putting ganache in them."

We stepped into the large kitchen area. It was fully set up with bowls, mixers, and everything, and stocked with a ton of ingredients. I gladly noted that there were several large ovens.

"What temperature should we preheat these to?" I asked.

"Oh I don't preheat the oven, I just put the stuff in and then turn it on."

I frowned. "You can't do that, the baking time would take longer than what's mentioned in the recipe."

Everett stared at me blankly. "The baking time is always longer though. I have to hang around and keep checking it every five minutes."

"Because you never preheat—nevermind, I'll just put it to around 325º F."

I twisted the knobs around and selected the cupcake setting. Everett started placing the cake liners in the muffin pan.

"We could make some fondant," I suggested, "and create some flowers and fairy wings to decorate the cupcakes. And we can use the edible shiny little gold balls."

"You know how to make those?"

"Not the fondant," I admitted. "But if we find a recipe I can create the decorations."

"I can make fondant, but anything I try to make out of it looks terrible."

I grinned. "I imagine it would."

"Hey!" He smacked me lightly. "You don't have to agree!"

I laughed, checking the recipe to measure out the exact ingredients of everything. Ignoring Everett's suggestion to just 'put whatever is there,' I divided them equally into several large bowls. He dragged out a carton of eggs as I started whisking the dry ingredients.