29 | You've sucked me into the absolute torture that is Wattpad

Everett

I woke up with a start to Clementine banging on the window. I groaned as I pulled my feet down from the couch and reached over to open the latch.

"You couldn't just let me sleep?" I whined.

"It's cold outside," he said plaintively.

His black hoodie was pulled up over his chocolate brown hair, casting a shadow over his face. His brows drew together and a worried look flickered past his eyes.

"You have the key to open the front door...right?" Clementine glanced at the open window in trepidation.

I glared at him. "Of course I do! It's—" I covertly looked over at the door. "Oh okay, it is there, don't worry."

I padded over the carpet and let him in. Clementine put his hood down as he entered; there was a crunchy yellow leaf entwined in his hair.

I pushed my fingers through his silky locks, letting the twig fall to the floor as I drew him into a hug. "I missed you."

"I saw you just yesterday," he murmured. But I felt him smile against my neck all the same. "I missed you too."

"I finished making the brownies; they came out really well," I claimed as I led him to the kitchen.

"How do you know?" he joked.

"I taste-tested, obviously."

I got out a box of strawberries from the fridge, setting them next to the crushed walnuts and slabs of chocolate. Clementine put two pans on the stove, dropping in the dark and white chocolate separately in order to melt them.

"Should we make out till it heats?" I teased, slipping an arm around his waist.

"Too soon, Everett." Clementine shook his head solemnly. "Besides, I have to keep stirring it."

I pulled myself onto the counter, leaning my head against the kitchen shelf as I watched Clementine work. His floppy brown hair fell over his violet eyes, a frown of concentration between his straight, dark brows.

The chocolate didn't take long to melt. Clementine turned off the heat as he poured it into two drizzle bottles and started decorating the brownies. He tapped his long fingers on the side of the bottle during each pause, pursing his pillowy lips that I now knew were every bit as soft as they looked.

Clementine squeezed the bottle hard, white chocolate spurting out and streaking across the brownies.

"That looks kind of wrong," I muttered.

"What? No it doesn't." He gave another experimental squeeze, oozing out more of the white liquid. "Shut up, it looks fine."

I slapped a hand over my mouth, trying to stifle my laughter.

"Oh my God, stop." Clementine started laughing as well, his purple eyes crinkling at the corners. "That's so immature."

"You thought it too!"

"Only after you put the idea in my head." His eyes widened. "I can't stop seeing it now."

I caught his eye and it only fueled our laughter. Clementine's hands shook too much to complete the pattern. He dramatically tossed aside the bottle and grabbed the dark chocolate instead. "Alright, we're done with this."

We worked in silence for a while. Well, he worked and I sat on the counter where he worked, my eyes drifting shut as I gazed at him. I yawned and let my head lean back on the shelf again.

Clementine's phone suddenly beeped with a notification, lighting up on the counter between us. He quickly snatched it away as I glanced down at the screen.