Chapter 4:

Brutus walked with his head held high.

I tried to keep a safe distance from him, not knowing what to make of the future traitor as he led me to the garden.

"You look well today," he said unexpectedly, as we walked past a group of Julius's guards, causing me to miss the rock that stood in my way. His arm instinctively shot out to steady me. For a moment I paused and met his gaze for the first time, before recoiling from him. He gave me one last look, his eyebrow raised before he strode off again, not waiting for me.

That was odd. The look he gave me wasn't as hostile as I expected.

As if reading my thoughts Brutus threw a glance back at me, his face scrunched up in distaste which reminded me of what his role was in this story.

What had happened? He seemed fine just a little while ago. Somehow, I realised he was putting on a show because he knew the guards would report anything they saw or heard back to Julius.

We made it to the garden where Julius was walking around, occasionally stopping to pick up a flower. The closer we got, the more nervous I became and so did Brutus.

What was going through his mind? How long until he planned to kill Julius?

Julius glanced up, sensing our approach, and smiled. "You look wonderful, my friend." Oddly enough, I assumed he meant Brutus. "And, of course, cheerful as always," he concluded as I took in Brutus's scowl, which didn't falter once.

Ah, sarcasm at its finest.

I bit my lip to stop the smile from forming, as a huff of laughter escaped me. Brutus gazed down at me, unamused.

"Do not be late again, Julius. The council meets soon." Without another word, Brutus stalked away leaving Julius cackling to himself.

"Always a brute, but a handy one," he added with a small smile as his eyes followed after Brutus. "Marcus has brought to my attention that his men will be watching over Longinus closely. They will let us know exactly what his plans are."

I tried to hide my surprise but I failed. His name slipped from my lips. "Marcus?"

Julius raised an eyebrow.

"Marcus Brutus, my dear," he explained offering me an arm which I looped mine through. "Forgive me for using his praenomen. I am aware it may cause confusion but it has become a habit. Speaking of our many Marcus', Antony has written to me."

I was too distracted by the name Marcus to pay attention.

My real life flashed before my eyes. I hadn't seen him when Octavian attacked me, which means he was somewhere out there, or at least I hoped he was. I knew he was too valuable to Octavian to kill, but I wouldn't put it past him.

"So, will you do that for me?" Julius asked and my attention snapped back to him.

What was he talking about?

The party, a voice echoed within me. His birthday celebration.

Where did that come from?

"Cleopatra?" Julius asked, a bit more concerned.

"Of course. It would be an honour to plan your party," I said and gave into the slight bow my head made. "How many years has it been since your dies natalis, old man," I teased and instantly bit my tongue.

Why the hell would I say–

He pulled his arm from mine. "There she is," he said through his laughter which was followed by a long, relieved sigh. "You have been acting strange all morning. I was waiting for that tongue of yours to strike."

Oh, so that was their dynamic.

"As for my birth day, it seems you are the one who is growing old. I told you last month."

Fifty-five, July, the pleasant voice returned. It had to be Cleopatra. She was still conscious.

"I am not yet as bad as you, Julius. Fifty-five years are beginning to show on you."

His laughter grew even more boisterous as I found my footing.

I could handle this especially since Cleopatra seemed to be on my side. Unfortunately, I felt my brief moment of victory fade away as I remembered my research. Julius didn't make it to fifty-six, he died in March of 44 BCE.

My mouth dried. If he was asking me to plan his birthday, that meant it was soon. Too soon.

"Julius?"

"Before you continue, would you mind rescheduling our language lessons today? Now, before you scold me, I promise your teachings have not been going to waste. I just fear I am not up for it today. Especially if I have to deal with those obnoxious senators again."

I was taken aback but nodded. Cleopatra was teaching him a different language?

Interesting.

"Also, remind me to revise the documents you gave me last night. I think from what you have discussed with me, that plan would be perfect for keeping the empire in check."

And she was advising him? Wow, talk about being a busybody.

I heard a soft, proud chuckle in my mind and smiled to myself before remembering why I had tried to get his attention in the first place.

"Julius," I said sternly and he stopped talking, giving me his full attention.

I guess Cleopatra knew which voice I needed to use.

"How many months will I have to prepare?" It was the closest thing to asking the date I could think of without sounding too weird.

"You will have plenty of time. I expect it to be a grand event. If you start now, you will have five months," he said, waving someone over.

July, June, May, April... March!

We were in March, which meant death would be knocking on Julius's door soon.

I gulped as my brain screamed at me to stay calm and not run away when Brutus appeared next to Julius and his icy gaze landed on me.

[Wattpad word count: 953]
[Total Wattpad word count: 4853]

Edited by: TheRebeccaBlake and Dodelia Reene