Prologue: The Forbidden Sitar

[ONC 2023 Entry | Based on Prompts 44 and 70 | Both the concepts are molded into the story | Music links the main characters (Prompt 44 ) |The characters from different timelines exchange lives(Prompt 70 )]

Written by - Khushi Master a.k.a Sumo

Prologue~

|18th Century, Jaiselmer| Jashoda Devi| The one who healed

The candle lights were blinking, as she sat in her chamber, thinking about how everything changed when her beloved husband lay on the deathbed. Life was pretty easy when he was there. 

She loved him and he loved his empire. It was the perfect life anyone could imagine. 

The queen was revered heartily for she was the kindest and purest of souls, her magical music emanated a certain glow from it that managed to heal people. The people called her 'The one who heals'.

She was a goddess in human form, but only till she had her Maharaja Lakshman Dev. 

Things started collapsing like a castle of cards.

As soon as he left her, the world turned cruel. As soon as she sat on that revered throne that made even her closest people burn with rage and jealousy, everyone turned their faces from her. Even her own sons. Everyone was hungry for power. Her heart couldn't understand any of it. She just wanted to elope and let them solve the mess. But she couldn't. Because she had to agree to her husband's last wish.

Please don't let my beloved empire fall. I know you will manage them, Jashoda, I know you will. Just believe in yourself and our family. They will guide you.

His words echoed in her conscience. The last thing that escapes his lips is his beloved empire.

Not me. I gave him my entire life, sacrificed my golden life in Jaipur, and came along with him to his rotten castle, into his rotten family. But no! His empire comes first!

She also knew, he chose her because his sons were useless flesh. She was the last thing he had and he gave her his life goal. But how could she do something that was not meant for her?

Bah! Everything he said was a lie.

Was I able to take care of his beloved empire?

No.

Did his beloved brother and sons help me?

NO!

She didn't feel him beside her after his demise. She knew this, for he didn't love anything else other than his beloved empire. And he only needed a queen like her for raising his heirs.

He had liberated himself, while she lay rotten in the rotten court.

Only music could save her. And that too was snatched away from her by the court officials. They said it distracted her. If anything it saved her and guided her.

Only one thing lurked in her mind now.

The Forbidden Sitar.

In the forbidden room.

In the forbidden building near her castle.

She had to do it. She couldn't breathe any longer. She was already suffocated.

Her eyes glowed with determination, and her legs didn't take long in taking her command.

The building was in front of her. Ever so lovely.

She went inside with nobody to stop her in the dead of the night.

The castle was termed to be the castle of curses. It was deemed to have some curse in it.