Chapter 7: Escaping the Tomb

~Years ago...~

A campsite that was littered with crates, tents, and equipment. One of the people of the camp sat at the fire, attending to the pot of stew, but just in the shadows, something quickly moves swiftly.

He hurried to one of the wagons and picks the locks. Once it was lock was opened. He pulls out the door to reveal a young Vex'ahlia, who shot her head up with a gasp as she looks and saw her twin brother.

Vax stood in front of the door and smiles at her, Vex returns the smile. "They didn't hurt you, did they?" he asks, helping her out of the wagon, "No. I think they figured I'm worth more alive," she answers as they slip back into the shadows.

They hid behind a wagon "Who the hell are these people?" Vax whispers to her. "Bandits, poachers maybe? I've been hearing horrid sounds." Vex answers him with a shudder.

Vax takes her shoulder and bent down, watching as one of the hunters walks past. "Ah, fuck me. Let's not stick around to find out," he tells her as they sneak their way through the camp, trying to find a way out.

But Vex snaps a twig right under her foot, making her gasp. The hunter at the campfire with the pot of stew, stops in the skinning of a squirrel, turning his reptilian head to the sound.

"Quick, in here," Vax whispers as he turns to a cage, it was locked and he quickly picks at it.

The hunter hisses as he marches through the camp, trying to find where the sound came from. Both went quiet for a moment as the hunter passes right by them.

But the hunter stops and makes his way around, to find nothing was there and continues to move on. The twin peers through the bars of the cage, watching as the hunter walks past them once more.

But they realize that they weren't the only ones in the cage, they quickly turn and look towards the back of the cage, hearing the low groans of an animal. "Vax," Vex calls out, as the chains rattled.

The beast in the cage raises to its height, Vax immediately steps in front of Vex, his dagger drawn as his arm was in front of her, but she places her hand on his shoulder, "No. Look." she said.

They both get a better look as the beast was just a bear. A very heavily wounded bear that was on his last legs, "They've hurt him." she states as the bear was heaving heavily. Vex just looks in horror at the sight of the bear then steps forward.

The bear stagger back as Vex stood in front of him, "Shh. Shh." she shushes him as she kneels before the bear. The bear growls at her, but she just held her hand out, "What did they do to you?" she questions "Vex'ahlia, we need to go." Vax informs her.

But her attention remains on the bear, "He's suffering. He needs mercy." she states as the bear gets a good sniff of her scent "Whatever happens... it's out of our control." she spoke as the bear lets out a low growl and lays his head in her lap.

The bear rests peacefully, grateful for what comfort he could gain as his blood pools at her knees. "Vex," Vax spoke as he lowers his blade, but walks over and kneels next to the bear, petting his mattered fur.

The twins shared a look and Vex nods her head, Vax looks down at the bear and held his dagger at the ready.

The bear opens his eyes and widens at Vax's dagger, "It's okay. Easy. Easy." Vex assures the bear as Vax sinks his blade into the side of the bear's neck "You can rest now." she tells him as the dagger kills it instantly, quickly, and painlessly.