Chapter 20

Maddox and Sylas got back from work at around 8 at night. Now that I know they go to headquarters every day to run the mafia it's relieving when they get home safely. The rest of us have been sitting on the couch watching movies. Maddox and Sylas join us and show us the pizzas they brought home. Milo and Brandon go at them like they're wild animals or something. I just look at Easton and he looks so done with his brothers. I reach for a slice while trying not to get dragged into the wrestling match that's going on. I'd never had pizza before, but it was really good. I have a pretty big slice so it takes me a while to eat. As I do, Maddox tells me that my surprise will be here soon. I almost forgot that there was a surprise on the way. He says he's been working on it since the moment they brought me home. I didn't know they cared that much.

In the middle of watching Finding Nemo, the doorbell rings. Maddox told me I should go answer it which was weird. They never ever let me answer the door. I got up from my seat next to Sylas and I head towards the front door. When I open it i'm greeted with a brunette girl and at least four suitcases.

She smiles at me but I don't think anything registers for a few seconds.

"Mia?"

She nods and I quickly tackle her in a hug. She laughs and hugs me back just as hard as I did. I had missed her so much while I was with my dad. We had gotten much closer over the week she spent here before everything happened.

"Gracie oh my god!"

I laughed as I kept hugging her. I don't think I was quite ready to let go of her yet.

Once I let go I turned around to see Maddox behind me.

"Everyone else will be getting here tomorrow," he says.

"Everyone else?"

"Mason, Emiliano, and Adrian are coming to visit as well but they were caught up in something and could fly in tonight," he explains.

I get even more excited. The rest of my friends were going to fly in to see me!

I watched as Sylas and Milo help Mia bring her bags upstairs. I start to follow them but then a thought pops up in my mind.

"I'm very grateful for this surprise but what about Katie and Lillie from school? They're probably worried as well," I say.

"Would you like to invite them over tomorrow when everyone else gets in?"

I smile and nod at him.

"Alright i'll have Easton set that up. Sylas also ordered you a new phone and it gets here tomorrow. I'll set it up and bring it to you when it's ready."

I rush over to hug him. He laughs and hugs me back before I let go and run up to meet Mia.

Brandon and Milo pass me on the way and I give them high fives before heading into my room. When I walk in Mia immediately starts asking me questions. I flop onto the bed next to her and tell her to slow down.

"So like, what happened? You don't have to answer if you don't want it to! It's just one week we're hanging out together and the next week you're gone! And like you don't owe me and explanation or anything just-"

"Mia."

"Am I rambling again? Sorry I didn't mean to I just wanted you to know that you don't have to-"

"Mia."

"Right."

"I- Uh. I guess Maddox didn't tell you guys but my dad kidnapped me."

She gasps.

"Yeah I just went back to school one day and it all happened."

"Oh my god that's awful. That must be why Matteo has been working overtime these past few months. I think they were trying to keep it on a need to know basis. He was being super weird. Weirder than usual I mean."