Chapter 2

I walked down the street heading for home. I looked down at the sand grains that were still on my feet creating that grainy sensation in my slippers as I walked.

Music boomed in my ears as I passed by the beach shack. My eyes roamed the shack before completely passing it. Most of the persons who were on the beach today seemingly made a fun rest stop at this nearby hotspot.

"Hey!" I heard someone shout.

My head shot behind me searching for the source of the voice. At the entrance of the shack stood a young man with a bottle of wine in his hand. He was clothed in a gray marina and a pair of colourful beach shorts.

"Why don't you come on in?" He offered kindly.

I looked at the crowd of people behind him dancing, laughing and chattering away. A bunch of people I didn't know including himself.

I shook my head and replied, "No, thank you. I have to go home now."

"Aww, come on, you're missing the fun," he insisted. "Everyone's here to have a good time."

I glanced at the vacant street ahead of me and back at the shack.

"Fine," I gave in before making my way towards the shack. "Five minutes won't hurt, I guess."

"Nice," he remarked smiling which revealed a pair of cheek dimples.

Colourful lights illuminated the small atmosphere as soulful music played in the background. The environment was filled with chattering and boisterous laughter as persons engaged with each other. The cool night breeze encircled the air adding a sense of refreshment to the atmosphere.

Maybe it wasn't such a bad idea to stop after all.

"I'm Tyler," he introduced. "And you?"

I looked up at him. He was just a few inches taller than me. He had curly, brown hair and a tanned complexion. His honey-brown eyes stared down at me awaiting my response.

"I'm Maya," I spoke over the music.

"Sweet, would you like a drink?" He asked as I followed him inside.

"No, thank you, I don't drink."

He gave me a funny look before bursting out into laughter.

"You think I don't know that? Look at you. You look sophisticated as hell."

I furrowed my eyebrows at him in pure confusion.

"I'm simply saying you don't look like the drinking type so I wouldn't dare ask you to have these type of drinks. I meant juice, silly," he explained as he lead me to a counter where fruit juice and smoothies were being blended.

"Oh," I remarked dryly.

"What would you like?" He asked.

"No, it's fine. I can order for myself."

"But I'm offering."

"Thanks, but I can pay," I said kindly.

"You're not from around here, are you?" He asked.

"You've guessed correctly," I answered.

"Didn't take me long to figure that out," he remarked before ordering a Fruit Punch.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked raising an eyebrow at him.

He didn't respond.

"I'd like a strawberry smoothie," I order as I scanned the menu behind the tatted bartender.