Chapter 10

It was Saturday evening and my parents were hastily getting ready for the little get together that was being held by Jaxon's dad and his step-mom. I slid my feet into the white strap up slippers that my dad had bought me a few months ago and watched it enhanced the rose-pink, loose-fitting, formal dress I dug up. The dress was knee length with a small, white belt that I latched around the waist. This is the second time that I have worn this dress with the first occasion being a church service a few months ago in my home state. I let my wavy hair run loose in my back and tucked a few strands behind my ear.

"Maya!" I heard my mom hollered from the bottom of the staircase.

"I'm coming, mom!" I yelled back quickly pumping the last of my cherry scented perfume on the inner sides of my wrists and behind my ears.

I looked in the mirror one last time before grabbing my black purse and leaving the room.

I spotted my mom at the bottom of the staircase glaring up at me.

"It took you an hour to get ready?" She asked not sounding too pleased.

"Your dad's in the car. You know he hates waiting especially when it's unnecessary," she said putting emphasis on the last word that escaped her mouth.

With that being said I descended the staircase and made my way to the car leaving mom to lock up. I opened the door to the backseat of my dad's new, matte black Kia SUV and secured myself with the seatbelt. My dad was in the driver's seat staring ahead of him while listening to a disco jam that played on the radio. My dad is not a fan of music and I am positive that he is trying to cope with the impatience. The tapping of his index finger on the steering wheel was enough to tell me he was agitated.

A few seconds later my mom approached the car. She walked swiftly towards the front door flaunting her curves in a striped pants suit that she purchased on SHEIN two weeks ago. She finally got the perfect occasion to show it off. Her youthful appearance was enhanced with the soft glam that she applied to her face.

"You look gorgeous," dad complimented staring at her with sparked admiration in his eyes.

"And you're ever so handsome, my love," she beamed planting a kiss on his lips.

His face lit up with a smile and he started the engine.

"You're gorgeous too, hunny but I'm sure one hour was uncalled for," my dad said looking in the rearview mirror at me.

He's right. The get together starts 4pm and my parents urged me to start getting ready around 2pm so we could leave by 3pm but I was lost in thought about the whole Jaxon fiasco and fell asleep for half an hour on the edge of my bed. I woke up to my mom knocking on my door 2:32pm asking if I was almost ready.

I stared at the clock on the car radio that showed 3:39pm.

I hope we're not late.

"I'm sorry, dad," I apologized.

I couldn't tell him that I had slept away. He hates when I am lackadaisical. We drove off following the directions Teresa's mom had given earlier. Within fifteen minutes we drove up to a modern, averaged sized, three story house with renovation being made on the last floor.

"This is the one," dad said parking at the side walk across the street.

"Eerie Avenue, House number 10."

I glanced at the clock once more and saw that it was 3:55pm. I suddenly felt bad for not being here in a more timely manner. I undid my seatbelt and opened the door stepping outside in the hot evening sun. The neighbourhood was pretty calm and quiet with scanty streets. A thin, grey-headed man on a two wheeler wheeled by chiming his bicycle bell as he steered down the street. I looked around to see several houses and a few apartment complex in the distance.