Chapter Nine

Jake decides that everything he has left to tell me he will say in the car. I am impatient, but right when he promises to tell me our food comes.

The meal is delicious and I leave the restaurant feeling like my fettuccine alfredo dish has made me ten pounds heavier. Jake tries to make small talk throughout the end of dinner, but with my stubbornness he eventually gets the hint to stop his efforts.

As soon as my seatbelt id on and the engine is started, I don't hesitate to get right to the point.

"So what else is there to tell me about you." I ask, trying to be subtle since I probably sound desperately obnoxious.

"What do you want to know?" He questions. I frown, wishing he would just get to the point.

"You said your parents are weird." I state. I regret not phrasing this as a question, but I want to start off somewhere.

"Yeah, they are." He replies, looking very intently at the road. I worry that I am pushing into a touchy subject but I can't help but pursue.

"Is there a reason they are weird or is that your teenage response for when anyone asks you that?" I request while trying to slide some sarcasm in my tone. He sighs loudly and I instantly regret the sarcasm.

"My parent's had me at an older age and after that they found out that they couldn't have anymore kids. So they adopted- which was great, it really was- I'm glad they had the patience to do that and to give another kid a good life."

"So what's the problem?" I ask confused. "Did they like him better or something?" I know I hit a mark when I see his shoulders shift in the seat and his head tilts to the side.

"That's what's weird about them. They didn't treat him any different than me, but then in the end they picked him over me." He says.

I stare at him blankly until he looks over at me. "What?" He questions.

"Picked him over you how?" His nostrils flare and he shake his head, revealing his frustration.

"Umm, a family business. He got a higher title than I did." He states. The way he says it makes me know that his "family business" is code for something else. Knowing that he doesn't trust me with the whole truth gives me a slight cramp like how I've had all week. It comes on hard- like his lie punches me in the gut- and I can't help but release a painful groan.

Jake seems to slam on the brakes as he reaches over to touch my shoulder. His finger making contact with my skin gives me a familiar feeling and instantly the cramp goes away.

"What's wrong, what hurts?" He asks desperately searching over me as if expects to see blood.

"It's fine, it's just a cramp." I sigh.

His face draina of color and I have a feeling he has made the connection too; between the lie and the cramp. He starts driving again and it is silent for about a minute before he speaks out again.

"I'm sorry Jen." He whispers. Judging by his hurt voice I can tell he really is. I nod and it goes quiet again.

"Do you know why I'm sorry?" He asks. I nod my head again.

"Why do you think I'm sorry, Jen?"

"I think..." I begin. "I think that it's all connected. The cramp and the lie, the touch and the tingles. Even the fact that I've felt sick all week and felt instantly better when I met you again."

He groans when I say that, almost making a growl-like sound.

"I'm sorry Jen, I wish I could have gotten to you sooner."