39 ¦ With you

A/N: Sorry y'all for not posting. I  was in Italy for the weekend and couldn't post. So here's a new chapter for you guys. AND THANK U FOR 8K READS. Love y'all. <333
- - -

Two weeks have now passed since that terrible evening. This morning, Sunghoon was released from the hospital and is now back home. Since then, however, we have only seen each other briefly, because Sunghoon seemed very exhausted, which is why he retired directly to his bedroom to rest after his arrival. Of course, I didn't want to disturb him.

I was just getting ready for bed when a soft knock sounded at the door. Immediately, the door opens and my mother pokes her head into the room. "Can I talk to you for a minute?" she asks me, looking visibly nervous. It's been a long time since we last really spoke in private.

At my nod, she finally enters the guest room and closes the door behind her. She hesitantly approaches the large four-poster bed and sits down next to me on the edge of the bed. Her brown eyes meet mine.

"Our relationship has never been particularly good and I know that I have failed as a mother in many ways," begins the middle-aged woman who I now know is not my birth mother. "I just wanted to let you know how much I love you and how sorry I am for everything you've had to go through."

My mother has always been close to the water, which is why tears are streaming down her cheeks now. Carefully, I pull her into a hug and stroke her back soothingly.

Of course I am angry and deeply disappointed that they have kept this important information from me all these years, but it doesn't change the fact that my mother and Teresa are among the people who are most important to me.

It will be a while before I can fully forgive them for this breach of trust, but for now I am just glad that Teresa and my mother are okay.

"I testified against your father," my mother informs me, stroking my brown hair. Her words fill me with pride. I know how much of a struggle it must have been for my mother to talk about how he treated her.

This man dug his own grave and with each additional disgusting act he committed, he dug deeper. I am glad that he will eventually get the punishment he deserves.

"I'm proud of you, Mom," I whisper, feeling a tear run down my cheek as well. She wraps her arms around me a little tighter and breathes a kiss on my forehead. I, too, have already testified against my father. On the one hand, of course, as a witness for the incident two weeks ago, and on the other hand, for the physical attacks against me, one of which ended for me in the hospital.

After my mother has left the guest room again, I am overcome with this urge to check on Sunghoon. So I decide to get up from my bed and quietly sneak into his bedroom, where I carefully settle on the edge of his bed to look at him.

Sunghoon is asleep; his eyes are closed and his chest rises and falls evenly. Gently, I stroke away his brown hair, which falls into his forehead. Just as I avert my gaze from him and want to pull my hand away again, I feel his fingers wrap around my wrist.

Eyes wide, I look at Sunghoon, the corners of his mouth pulling up into a smile. "You were watching me," he states. "I thought you were sleeping," I defend myself, feeling my cheeks heat up. "I was just pretending," Sunghoon replies with amusement, releasing my wrist warily.

Slowly and carefully, he straightens up in his bed and reaches for my hand, gently stroking the back of my hand with his thumb. "Why are you here?" "I just wanted to check on you," I say honestly, lowering my gaze.

"What's wrong?", Sunghoon wants to know with concern. My eyes fill with tears. It's my fault he got shot. If it wasn't for me, none of this would have happened. "I'm so sorry for what happened," I mumble, not daring to return his gaze.

"It's not your fault," he tells me in a serious voice, squeezing my hand a little tighter. "It's your father's fault, and he's going to get his punishment for it now."

"I'm scared," I confess to him. What if my father talks his way out of this and just continues to walk free?

Sunghoon puts his hand to my cheek. "He won't hurt you anymore. I promise you," Sunghoon murmurs, wiping the tears from my face with his thumb.

"Will you lay down with me?" he suddenly asks in an occupied voice, tapping the mattress beside him. His brown eyes look at me hopefully.

With a nod, I slip under the covers with Sunghoon and allow him to put an arm around me and pull me close. Carefully, I place my head against his chest, where I can hear the regular pounding of his heart. Smiling, I close my eyes to listen to his heart a little longer.

But then I feel Sunghoon place his fingers under my chin and lift my face slightly, which is why I release my head from his chest and look into his eyes. Instead of saying anything, Sunghoon brings my face even closer to his, finally placing his lips on mine.

Careful not to hurt him, I place my hands on his chest and return the kiss. Sunghoon's lips move passionately on mine as I feel his fingers travel under my shirt, where he strokes his fingertips up and down my waist.

Tingling goosebumps spread all over my body as Sunghoon releases his lips from mine to place them on my neck instead, where he spreads more kisses. I close my eyes and rest my head on the back of my neck as his lips kiss along my collarbone.

I feel Sunghoon touch me through the fabric of my sleep shorts as his lips meet mine again. I sigh into the kiss, but shake my head in response and hold his hand tightly. "You need to rest," I mumble against his lips.

"You're right," Sunghoon replies, almost seeming to regret it. He puts his arm around my shoulders and allows me to place my head back against his chest and fall asleep listening to the steady pounding of his heart.

A/N: Hoon finally turned into a softie