Chapter 1

The Last Harvest

Jean Louis

From farmer To a soldier, To gunslinger

"The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few." Luke 10:2

Jean Louis was on the slow and steady climb to becoming the next in line to run the family's sugarcane business. The hopes and dreams of the young man come to an end when his family's farm is burned along with his young wife inside their home. The men responsible were from the union army and this triggered Jean to run off and join the war in hopes of finding the men who were responsible. His life turns bitter as he becomes hardened by the battles of the war, but eventually, the young man finds compassion as he helps save a group of slaves. In doing so Jean defects from the confederate army and continues his search for the men responsible for his wife's death. During his journey for revenge, his notoriety for being a gunslinger becomes well known. This causes much-unwanted attention as others ask for Jean's help.

Will he find the men responsible for his wife's death, or will the long path of violence he carved out be in vain?

CHAPTER ONE

Born in 1840 Jean was the oldest child out of three to Maria and Thomas Louis. The Louis were wealthy sugarcane farmers from outside of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, owning several plantations. All their plantations were run by a family as well as paid labor. The family did not believe in owning slaves like much of the South in their time. The Louis family was a strong Christian family and believed every man should be free. The family did their best to avoid the looming war that grew ever close to their lands and would often help a fleeing slave or two. Thomas made sure his family, friends, and fellow workers were protected no matter their color or creed. Thomas did his best to instill such values into his three children Jean, William, and Evelyn. The two boys were not much into the whole gospel train, but Evelyn followed their teachings and the bible wholeheartedly.

When Jean was of age he learned the business side of his family's wealth and cane production. One day his father would leave his legacy to his two boys and daughter to run, so Jean dedicated his life and time to learning this trade. He knew it was a great opportunity and did not take any of it for granted. However, that day of Jean running the family business would not see the light. When the civil war broke out, The country was divided and at war. Northern union armies marched their way down south trying to conquer the land. Many homes, businesses, and plantation homes were either sacked, held hostage for use, or burnt down. Many of the surrounding towns urged the Louis family to join the war efforts, but time and time again Thomas held his ground and refused. William, the middle child did not agree with his father, but Jean often sided with the decision to not march off to war. He was newly married and Jean did not intend to make his wife a widow at such a young age. Life in their day was hard enough so blindly rushing off to war and certain death was not something Jean wished to do. As much as the Louis family tried to stay clear of the war, the inevitable arrived at their doorstep.

Fall 1862

Harvesting was in full swing and everyone in the Louis family was involved with each aspect. While the men worked tirelessly, the woman stayed at home preparing meals for not only the family but the workers. The Louis' farm was the only farm in the region that did not have slave labor. All their men, white or black, were hired hands and treated with equal pay and dignity. This often caused a few noses to turn up at them in town, but for the most part, the family ignored it. The Harvesting lasted almost all of the fall and into the winter months. Louisiana rarely saw snow and kept it at a resembling warm temperature. Some years the winters would be cold, but nothing too extreme to stop work. Most times fall and winter were welcomed with open arms. It gave me a much-needed break from the sweltering hot and humid summer weather. This year's crop was healthy and plentiful. The family would no doubt make a profit and some of that money would be split between the siblings. Jean had plans to start building his own home separate from the main house. He and his wife Rose had plans for a large family. The two had met very early in life. Some would think they were engaged since elementary school by the way the two were inseparable since childhood. As Jean came of age, around seventeen, Jean proposed to Rose. Her family had always liked Jean and his family, so there was no dispute in the matter. It was a leg up for this carpenter's daughter to marry a wealthy farmland owner. Three years had passed since their wedding vows and the two were still ever in love. Rose had yet to be able to bear any children, but her hopes were high for this year. Jean had always wanted a large family and the young man would ask the good Lord every night to grant their wishes for children.