Chapter 3

CHAPTER THREE

Six years and Life on the road with Samuel had been a rollercoaster of ups and downs. Jean for the majority of the years had protected the young black male from others who might have hurt him. Even after the slaves had gained their freedom, it didn't stop racist people from having a word or two about Sam. However, the words would be the last they spoke due to either Jean's fist or steel barrel in their mouth. Eventually, Sam grew tired of Jean having to always come to his rescue and the friendship they had built began to rift a bit. The young man was just happy to be free and in the company of a friend, but He knew eventually he needed to part from Jean. Jean soon picked up on this as well. It wasn't just the fact that Sam felt helpless around Jean, but the constant on the hunt for what seemed like a ghost. The violence and bloodshed began to weigh on the young male's conscience and Samuel wondered how Jean could not feel the same way. Life on the road was difficult and the two learned to adapt. They picked up bounties and hired gun jobs along the way on their travels. Jean taught Samuel how to shoot as well as how to outsmart the criminals. Jean was not much of a talker, but Sam didn't mind. Samuel talked to both of them often. Jean was always quick to shoot while Sam tried to talk the criminals into turning themselves over. Sam often tried to reason with the Cajun. The constant words of wisdom often reminded him of how his friend Henry used to guide him, But Jean knew evil could not be reasoned with. It was a shoot-or-be-shot world they lived in and Jean couldn't understand how Sam could not grasp it. It annoyed him that Sam always tried to find the good in people, but some people were just plain wicked.

Jean wished the parting of the two would have been on good terms, but it wasn't. The day started normal. They both rode side by side for days until they reached the next town. Jean and Sam would ask the locals if there had been any sighting of the scared man as well as if there was any work to be done. To Jean's surprise, there was a wanted poster of the man he was after. His callused hands reached up and plucked the yellowed paper from the side of the post office. His eyes scanned the drawn face of the devil he had been chasing for years.

'Thousand dollar bounty' Read in bold letters under the picture. There was more written below, but Jean ignored it. He didn't care what this Charlie the scared man was wanted for, Jean wanted Charlie's life for the life of his wife. Sam rounded the corner to see Jean just standing there glaring at the paper in his hands.

"What is that?" Sam asked as he approached. The young man's smile soon faded when he caught a glimpse of what Jean was holding. Jean broke away from his daze to face Sam. The Cajun didn't say a word, he simply just held up the paper for Sam to take. Samuel took the paper and began to read out loud what was written. Jean ignored him and turned to walk back towards the horse.

"Are we leaving already?" Sam asked as he jogged to catch up to Jean.

"After we gather provisions, yes." Jean began to walk his horse down the dirt roads of the small town.

"We just arrived though." Sam had a hint of disappointment in his voice.

"That wanted poster is only a few days old, that means Charlie is not far."

"How do you know that? How do you know we aren't just chasing a ghost, Jean." Sam stopped walking when Jean turned around to face him. Jean held the reins of his painted horse and gave Sam an unsettling glare. That stare sent a shiver up Sam's spine. He didn't like to upset his friend, but Sam wanted Jean to snap to reality.

"We have been chasing this man for six years now. This Charlie is always just out of our reach. I feel like a dog chasing my tail." Sam let the paper drop to his side. The young man wanted to say more, but he didn't have the chance. Jean turned and started to walk towards the general store. Jean knew that it was partially true. The two had been on the rail of this man for a long tie. More than most would have wasted on it, but this was personal. Charlie took the life of the woman he loved and destroyed not only his family home but his life. Not a day or night goes by without the nightmares of that day. Most men would have moved on and remarried. Restarted their life and forgot about the incident, but not Jean. He couldn't let this go, and the amount of time he spent chasing this man would be for nothing if he didn't catch him.