7. Flying Lessons *

"My friends say I should act my age, what's my age again? What's my age again?" ~ What's My Age Again? , Blink 182

"Good afternoon, class." Madam Hooch says, as we all eagerly await our first flying lesson.

"Good afternoon, Madam Hooch."

"Welcome to your first flying lesson." She says, making me even more excited.

"Well, what are you waiting for? Step up to the left side of your broomstick. Come on now, hurry up," Madam Hooch says. We all so as she says.

"Stick your right hand over the broom and say, 'up.'"

Not bothering to look around to see what others are doing, I place my right hand over my broom and speak;

"Up!" I say, and the broom flies to my hand. Harry's does the same, and we share a confused, yet proud look.

Malfoy manages it only a few seconds after us and smirks smugly.

"With feeling!" Madam Hooch says, as slowly other people manage it.

Hermione's broom, on the other hand, is simply rolling around on the ground, barely leaving the ground at all.

"Up!" Ron says irritably, and the broom flies up from the ground and hits him straight in the face. Harry and I laugh along with Seamus and Dean.

"Shut up, Harry and Haylee." He says, with a slight grin on his face.

"Now, once you've got hold of your broom, I want you to mount it," Madam Hooch instructs, "grip it tight. You don't wanna be sliding off the end."

We all mount our brooms, and I prepare myself to take flight.

"When I blow my whistle, I want you to kick off from the ground, hard. Keep your broom steady, hover for a moment, then lean forward slightly and touch back down. On my whistle. Three, two..."

She blows her whistle, and Neville instantly begins rising into the air, much higher than he should be.

"Neville!" We all shout.

"Mr Longbottom." Madam Hooch says warningly.

But clearly, judging by the look on poor Neville's face, he hasn't got any control over his broom.

"Down! Down!" Neville yells as the broom begins to zoom forwards, away from us and higher into the air.

We all watch on as Neville flies aimlessly around the castle, rolling, flipping and narrowly missing hitting the castle.

"Mr Longbottom!" Madam Hooch shouts as Neville begins zooming towards us.

Oh gosh.

We all dive out of the way and Neville flies out of sight for a moment and then reappears as he gets his sweater caught on a light hanging from the side of the castle.

His broom falls to the ground and he hangs from the light, before falling from the light to the ground.

He makes a strange strangled sound and we all look at each other anxiously.

Why is it always him? Poor guy.

"Everyone out of the way!" Madam Hooch exclaims, pushing through us to get to a whimpering Neville.

"Is he alright?" Hermione whispers in my ear as Madam Hooch inspects Neville's limp wrist.

"Oh, dear, it's a broken wrist. Poor boy. Come on now, up you get." She says, helping Neville to his feet.

"Everybody is to keep their feet firmly on the ground while I take him to the hospital wing," she tells us, "understand? If I see a single broom in the air, the one riding it will be expelled before they can say Quidditch."