Bonds and a Newcomer

After hours of classes, I find myself in the locker room, eagerly preparing for basketball training. The anticipation builds within me as I realize that today's session could be a turning point. The coach, Mr. Trent, will be selecting the top players for the first team, the West Panthers, and I yearn for the honor of playing varsity basketball this season.

In the locker room, I strike up a conversation with Andrew, who has already secured his spot on the first team. He looks at me with a playful smile and asks, "You ready, big guy?"

I chuckle, pulling on my basketball jersey. "I always am."

Braids neatly in place and my Jordans securely tied, I step onto the court where our coach, Mr. Trent, greets us with a nod. The familiar routine begins as we form teams of two and engage in a game of basketball. Andrew and I find ourselves on the same side, a formidable duo ready to showcase our skills.

Sounds of sneakers squeaking and the basketball bouncing fills the air as the game commences. I execute some impressive passes, contributing to our team's success, including one to Andrew who effortlessly dunks the ball into the hoop that leaves everyone in awe, solidifies his position as a first team player.

As the game concludes, our team emerges victorious. Andrew and I exchange congratulatory words, acknowledging each other's contributions. Mr. Trent, satisfied with the effort displayed, commends the entire group on our performance. "Nice game, everyone," he says, a hint of pride in his voice.

The basketball training comes to an end, and we head back to the locker room, exhausted but content. My friends and I grab some energy-boosting drinks like Red Bull and chug down some refreshing mineral water. The tired yet jubilant atmosphere fills the air, a mix of camaraderie and shared passion for the game.

I make my way out of the basketball court, and there, standing amidst the bustling hallway, is Daphne. Curiosity piqued, I approach her, a mix of excitement and confusion evident on my face.

"What are you doing here, Daph?" I ask, trying to make sense of her unexpected presence.

A smile graces her lips as she replies, "Well, I had some free time, so I decided to watch."

Surprised and grateful, I can't help but feel a flutter of excitement

"Wait, you do? I didn't even notice. Well, I indeed need some support from a friend though," I respond, a genuine appreciation in my voice.

As we walk together toward the parking lot, our footsteps echoing through the hallway, Daphne breaks the silence. "So, uh, any plans for tonight?" she asks, a hint of anticipation in her tone.

I pause for a moment, considering my response. "Actually, a friend invited me over for a dinner," I say, hoping she understands my unspoken hesitation.

She nods without showing her disappoinment.