Part 8

"I do think these decorations will add to the festivity of the celebrations!" Elizabeth remarked, tilting her head to survey her uneven efforts in comparison to Georgiana's dainty cut stars. "Or at least, yours will." She giggled and reached for another piece of gold paper. "We shall simply hide mine artfully behind evergreen boughs!"

"Yours are just as lovely as mine are," Georgiana said, loyally. "Here, why do you not turn your attention to making bows? I know there you are the expert of us two."

This was a kindness, and at least a little true. Many years devoted to cheaply trimming bonnets and fashioning hair-bows for her sisters had made Lizzy's fingers nimble with ribbon and she happily laid down her scissors and lifted the lengths of red and green the two young ladies had managed to scavenge from their stores.

Everything about this unseasonal Christmas was a make-do-and-mend affair, Lizzy reflected, for there were no shops from which to buy holiday supplies - unless one wished to theme their festive celebration "midsummer", which Lizzy did not. The incongruity of pine boughs and candlelight amid light evenings and bright sunshine made her laugh, and she could only imagine how ridiculous her husband would find the whole affair. He has told me so already, but I shall make him eat his words along with the last of the winter's puddings. She had been so excited when Cook had emerged from the pantry with a small - and dusty - wrapped Christmas pudding that she insisted it would be split between the four of them at dinner that evening, even if it would only allow for a spoonful each. Lizzy's gaze strayed to Georgiana, who was frowning in concentration, as she progressed from the simple stars that even Elizabeth struggled with, to cut elegant and complex snowflakes from old paper scraps they had gathered for that purpose.

It has been some time since I saw her so pleasantly occupied with a task. All of this fuss will be worth it if it makes Georgiana happy, Lizzy thought. Even Darcy cannot disagree with that. She grinned, recalling Colonel Fitzwilliam's hearty endorsement of the plan. And as Colonel Fitzwilliam is equally on board with it, it is only my husband who requires a little more convincing. She tied a cunning bow and surveyed it with satisfaction. Fortunately, I am excellent at persuading him that I am right and that my ideas are the best. She stifled a chuckle, acknowledging to herself, if to nobody else, that this was not entirely true. How frequently, even in their short marriage, had Darcy's pragmatism and sense outweighed Elizabeth's flair for romance?

"I am glad Richard could join us for a few days," Georgiana said when a long stretch of silence had settled over the industrious parlour. "He looks as if he needs some celebrating, do not you think?"

"He looked very well and happy," Elizabeth said. Something in Georgiana's tone struck her and she laid down her ribbons to better observe her sister-in-law. "He has just come from his brother's house, has he not? I thought they were on good terms with one another. Have you cause to think otherwise?"

"Oh, no, not at all!" Georgiana said, hastily. "I just wish for him to be happy. He has struggled so often in life that I hate to think of him struggling still, even now."

"Struggles?" Lizzy's lips quirked. She had never considered Colonel Fitzwilliam to struggle with anything in his life. Why, he was forever laughing and joking! "What struggles has poor Colonel Fitzwilliam ever faced?"

There had been something a trifle condescending in Lizzy's "poor Colonel Fitzwilliam" and when she saw the shadow flicker across Georgiana's face she instantly regretted it, reaching for her friend's hand and squeezing it.

"You know him better than I do, I am sure. Recall, I met him but once before this, and then I was perhaps not at my most sensible." Lizzy cringed now to recall that visit to Kent where she had been introduced to Colonel Fitzwilliam for the first time - and surprisingly brought back into Mr Darcy's circle. That had been the scene of his first fateful proposal, which she had bitterly refused. She had first learned of George Wickham's behaviour, against the young lady sitting across from her who had become as dear to Lizzy as her own sisters, and she had come to realise how dreadfully she had misjudged Fitzwilliam Darcy. Have I misjudged his cousin, also?

"Tell me," Lizzy said to Georgiana. "What do you think still subdues our apparently cheerful colonel? Together we shall think up a plan to help him."

"I do not know," Georgiana said, haltingly. "I know he is cheerful, as you say. Perhaps the concern is mine, for I know what it is to feel lonely and fancy I see the same curse besetting all those I care for." She sighed and turned back to her snowflakes. "I am sure if Richard is lonely it will not be for long." She rolled her eyes. "I have never known such a man for making idle flirtation a game. And yet now perhaps he is more sensible of the future. He talks of looking for an estate of his own: his mind must turn to marriage, for the two are often linked." She smiled, but the smile did not strike Lizzy as entirely genuine. "I do hope he at least finds some young lady worthy of him. I fear he is too easily turned by a pretty face and a few easy compliments of the regiment." Georgiana shook her head, growing serious once more. Her words, when they came, were a whisper. "He deserves more."

Lizzy's features remained impassive but inwardly she rejoiced. How is it that I have never noticed this before? Georgiana cares for Colonel Fitzwilliam! Oh, it is too delicious - and too perfect! For what better time is there in all the year to fall in love than at Christmas?