Part 16

A/N - thanks so much to the observant reader who pointed out to me that Richard is most definitely not removing his *head* oops! Fixed it, I think - apologies for any other sneaky typos that made it through my edits. Ok, back to the story xxx

"Well, Georgiana! Where next?"

Richard's voice came from behind a tall bunch of flowers laid on top of two baskets he held, having insisted on carrying the bulk of their supplies. The whole pile wobbled as he laughed, manoeuvring them until he could peer out from behind them to see his cousin a little better.

"This way," Georgiana said, fighting the urge to laugh herself. She was having a very pleasant day. More pleasant than she had expected it might be, even though she always enjoyed paying calls to the people who made their lives on Pemberley land and whom she knew well. She devoted much of her free time to visits such as these, but making them with Richard, and not Fitzwilliam or Lizzy by her side was a new experience. "There are only a few more stops to make." Georgiana was sure her adventurous cousin was not finding the day half as enjoyable as she was and wished to reassure him that she would not impose upon his generosity very much longer.

"I am in no hurry," Richard assured her, striding on as if he hadn't a care in the world. "And just think if we had not taken Elizabeth's advice the task would take twice as long and even then I would not find it too great a sacrifice." He whistled cheerfully and Georgiana smiled. There was something so very pleasant about being with Richard. Her smile froze. She was sure Lizzy had sensed as much when she suggested their group of four divide into two pairs - Fitzwilliam and Elizabeth taking one path at the fork in the road, Richard and Georgiana the other. Their routes would converge again soon, once all their deliveries had been made. It was a sensible decision, but there was something in the mischievous twinkle in Lizzy's eyes that made Georgiana think that this particular division of labour was not entirely motivated by pragmatism.

She wished to pair Richard and I together. Perhaps she knows I... Georgiana shook her head. She could barely entertain the thought herself, let alone conceive of Elizabeth suspecting it.

"What is the matter, Georgie?" She had not kept pace with her cousin and he seemed to have noticed at last, shortening his long strides and at last stopping altogether to turn back and address her. "Do I make too much haste? Or is your basket too heavy for you? Look, let us make a swap. You can take the flowers and I'm sure then I can manage a third basket..." He tried to juggle his burdens as he spoke and came very close to dropping them altogether.

"Perhaps if I remove my hat and balance it on my head, as I have seen some foreign people do..." He laid down his baskets carefully on an upturned rock and removed his hat, smoothing out his dark hair and grinning at her. "What do you think? Is my head empty enough to make a useful shelf?" He turned one way and then another, pulling a face when Georgiana did not immediately answer. She rolled her eyes at his foolishness and placed her basket carefully with his, before perching next to them.

"It is too hot to keep walking just at present. Let's sit for a moment."

Richard did not need to be asked more than once. Tossing his hat onto the pile, he threw himself down beside Georgiana and stretched out, breathing deeply the scent of summer and letting out a contented sigh.

"Truly you live a charmed life here, Georgie. This country is the best in the world."

"And so unlike your brother's estate," Georgiana said, drily. "You act as if Pemberley is the only estate in England when you know just as well that your family estate is almost as large and very nearly as pretty."

"Almost and very nearly are not the same." Richard plucked a strand of grass and chewed on it thoughtfully as he stared up at the cloudless blue sky. "Besides, I can think of at least one thing Pemberley has in its favour that Matlock has not and never will."