Chapter 23 - Kayla

My new family and I drove back to Sinclair Castle in a red Jeep belonging to my beloved. We just came through the gates, and while I'm excited to introduce my family to my pack, I'm also on guard. The need to protect them seems overwhelming.

Besides the initial mate talk given to me by Blood Alpha Cooper, I've heard quite a few stories over the last few days.

Doc and Grace helped us pack some but mostly cared for the kids so we could get more done. They shared many things to watch for with pack members that may go against me having a Mahani mate.

I will not tolerate any danger to touch my new family. They are something I never thought I could have, and I will be grateful for every day I get with them.

Instead of getting a truck to load everything to the castle, Doc will open a portal where a few Betas will carry the boxes into the courtyard, where our people will take them to our wing.

I asked her to wait until we were there as I wanted to supervise this process. It may seem like I'm micromanaging, but I don't care. I don't want not one dish or toy lost.

They are changing their whole lives for me, and I'm beyond grateful. It's the least I can do.

My parents are at the doors by the garage to meet us. My wolf is thrilled that our young are being accepted. My mother pulled a sleeping Sydney from me and gave both Debra and Will a big hug. Her smile could light up the whole castle.

"Amber and I worked on the bedrooms as you asked Kayla. I'm sure the children will love them!"

"Let's go see!" Debra said excitedly.

It took a minute and a few hallways to reach the main staircase. Debra and Will both gasped and looked around. It may look fancy to an outsider, like a museum, but I knew better. The upkeep of this place is constant and takes many people.

Like all unmated wolves, my old room was on the fourth floor. Our new living area is on the second floor. I can't believe I'm returning to my childhood home with my family. This whole moment is surreal.

I held Debra's hand on my left and Nicolas on my right. Nicolas had Will's hand, too. I held my breath as we entered, hoping they liked their new home.

The floor plan is open, so they could see the living room, kitchen, and dining room from where we stood. The whole area was painted in pale blues and greys, with brighter colors on cushions, couch pillows, and throw blankets. Nothing was on the walls as I told them we were bringing pictures.

The hallway to the other rooms was off the living room, and I steered everyone in that direction.

"How about we start with Debra's room?" I suggested. Her name was done in sparkles on the door.

"Go ahead, open it."

Her eyes were wide as she slowly opened the door. She screamed in delight as she jumped on her bed. I smiled as I leaned into Nicolas and inhaled his scent, feeling the tingles where we touched.

"Ready, Will?" He nodded as we walked to the door with his name on it. He still looked leery. "Your turn. Go ahead." He looked to Nicolas, who winked at him.

As he opened the door, I kept my attention on his face. His eyes bulged when he saw the furniture. Instead of jumping on his bed, as his sister did, he looked at the walls.

"That's the problem I've been working on with Doc!" He said, pointing to one wall. When he turned to the other side, he looked puzzled for a moment before his face lit up, and he ran to the chalk basket and then up the ladder.

"They love it," Nicolas said as he held me tighter.

"Thank you so much," I said to my mom.

"It was my pleasure. How about food? Anyone hungry?"

She had cold cuts, breads, chips, and cookies on the dining room table. We snacked a bit, and I woke Sydney to feed her. The children grabbed a plate and ran back to their rooms.

"If I may ask," my mom said slowly. "What happened to their birth parents?"

"Will and Debra were born from an Omega that was abused badly by her Pack. Her father was a Mahani Gamma who had left us for his mate," Nicolas said sadly. "When she and her Beta brother were born, the father had sent DNA to the Mahani and was told they were pack wolves. When the two children were in their late teens, the pack was attacked, and about half were killed, including the Blood Alpha and the rest of the Omega's family. The new Blood Alpha had just turned 21, and when sending the records to the Council of what happened, he intentionally put that the Omega daughter was killed too, even though she survived. 

"This new Blood Alpha took the pack back to when they abused their Omegas for sport. He had always wanted the Omega daughter, and now he had her. Over the next three years, the Omegas were all raped, beaten, and given an Alpha command not to take Bracken so they would ovulate. The Blood Alpha would lock her in his room during that time. She and the other Omegas got pregnant repeatedly, but the beatings caused most of them to miscarry. There were six Omegas there, and only eight children survived over all that time. As soon as Will started to talk, she realized how smart he was and that he was likely a Mahani. She told him not to speak to anyone but her, to hide that fact. The pack thought he had a brain injury from her beatings while pregnant.

"A trader showed up unannounced and saw what was happening. Before the Blood Alpha could order his death, he told the pack member that if he gave him a girl for the night, he would give them a sweeter deal. Once he was alone with her, he got all the information of what was happening and sent it through the mindlink to his own Blood Alpha. The pack was raided before daybreak by the Mahani.

"Once they were all rescued, it ended up that both Will and Debra had Mahani DNA. My brother was her destined mate. He quickly fell in love with the two little ones and adopted them. Their mom wanted one good pregnancy and birth where she was cared for, and the child would be loved. When she got pregnant with Sydney, the doctors told her it would be too dangerous; however, they would not terminate it. She died giving birth."

"Oh, my Goddess. What happened to your brother?" She asked.

"He was an Elemental, so when she died, he did too."

"Will remembers some of his time with his birth pack, so he's a little scared about being in one again," I said quickly, pulling my mom's attention away from the topic of death. "Will and I had several conversations over the last few days. I assured him we don't abuse any pack members here and that my mother is an Omega. It will take some time, but he needs to see it to believe it." I assured both my mother and mate.

Once everyone was done eating, I looked at my love and smiled before shaking myself. I have things to do!

"How about we get Doc to open the portal and start the boxes? I want to get their sheets on the beds first so they smell something familiar come bedtime." I suggested.

"Sounds good," Nicolas said.

His eyes glowed for a moment, and my mother took Sydney. The children wanted to stay in Will's room and play on the chalkboard, so my mom stayed with them while we went down to the side door facing the forest.

Alex and Lachlan were already there with several men and women who volunteered to help.

My mate's eyes brightened briefly, and a portal opened. On the other side was Doc, Grace, and a few others with a pile of boxes.

Grace was holding a teddy bear. Her eyes went wide, and her wolf let out a loud whine before she suddenly shifted. Her auburn-colored puppy was yelping and shaking.

The portal quickly closed, and we all stood in stunned silence.

"What just happened?" Alex said.

We were all shocked when Lachlan's wolf answered.

"Mate."

*******

Oh no...
--April