Chapter 25

No matter how much I think about it, it just doesn't make much sense. Not because I think Louise wouldn't do something like that, you never know, no matter how easily readable she is — but because I'd think she'd hide it better if that was the case.

Then, is Joane setting this up?

I sigh, finally deciding to pull up the files of that so-called Bella. Clearly, I'm not oblivious to her existence, she's part of the team, although I've only ever had brief interactions with her. She's not ugly but nothing special either, mid-twenties, a bit basic if I'm being honest, even in her work...

I immediately close the tab of her files as I realize what I'm doing. This is foolish and unprofessional, I'm not supposed to be judging my employees, especially because of such a baseless accusation. Not only that but even if it wasn't a baseless accusation, it still doesn't give me the right to act this way.

There is always the possibility of Louise doing this on purpose, since I've told her I wasn't the jealous type, maybe she wants to prove me wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case, as childish as that is.

I walk out of my office, seeing everyone is already working at their respective tables — Louise's desk is roughly in the middle of the room, while the other girl sat at the back at the far left. Did they arrive together? If they arrive together, then does one way for the other or...

This is stupid, I groan, going back into my office. But even though I said that I couldn't help myself going back again and again into the working area, nothing to see every single time. For something supposedly so obvious, it was hard to see a single interaction between the two.

"You know she won't do anything while you're watching, right?" I hear Joane saying behind me. "For someone that doesn't care, you've been around here an awful lot, and I refuse to believe it's for any other reason than to see it for yourself."

"That's very convenient."

"You don't need to believe me, go ahead and ask anyone else," she stops by my side, overlooking the room full of employees. "I'm aware I wasn't very sensible breaking the news, I was wrong for that, and I don't want you to think that I take any kind of pleasure in seeing you unhappy... as much as it irks me to think Louise is the one that makes you happy — What I mean to say is, I apologize if I've given you the impression that I'm pleased with the situation."

"That's an awful lot of words to say 'I'm sorry, I was a childish cunt'."

She sighs. "I apologize for being childish."

"And?"

"For being a cunt," she says under her breath.

I'm unable to fight the urge to chuckle under my breath, gaining a curious look from her. "You're something else."

"Whatever, do you want to find out for yourself or not?"

"Are you proposing we spy on her? Because if you are, I'll remind you that we're fully grown women, and before you use the Mark incident — you two were married, it's different. I can just ask her."

"Sure, go ahead and ask a cheating person if they're cheating, they'll totally tell you the truth," she says in an ironic tone.

"We're not dating, it's not cheating..." even though we did agree to be exclusive, something she herself asked for. "And maybe they're just friends, you know Louise is an unconscious flirt."

"Is she?"

"She is, it just never works."

"Can you really say that when you've fallen for her? What does that say about you?"