CHAPTER 3 - UNPLANNED ENCOUNTER

Have you ever felt the urge to push forward despite your mind warning you to stop, leading you straight into the arms of danger? That's how he felt, though his mind resembled a chaotic jigsaw puzzle, with every piece clamoring to complete the picture within himself. Who is this guy? How did he get my number? Is he really a police officer? Most of all, what on earth does he mean by my medical history? The only way to find out was to obey this mysterious instruction.

He scanned the furnished room, searching for suitable attire for the meeting, but came up empty-handed. The only things he owned were a pair of used sneakers and a t-shirt paired with old cargo pants. What am I doing? It's not like I'm going to go for an interview! Some random guy blurted out something about my medical history. If this is a prank, he might need medical attention instead. Regardless, this outfit should suffice for the occasion.

New York was already bustling with cheerful laughter, the fresh aroma of coffee beans, and people engrossed in their daily routines. Isn't it ironic to watch the entire world revel in laughter and merriment while you feel like an outsider, a misfit in this meticulously crafted world? Manhattan is designed for people as cheerful as this crowd, but where do I fit in?

Immersed in his thoughts, he never knew that he was just yards away from the great Majestic Theater, famous for its longest-running musical on Broadway. Why would this weirdo choose such a place? I bet he is aged around 45–50 based on his peculiar tastes.

Suddenly, he felt a chill run down his spine, his instincts razor-sharp. Bryan knew someone had been following him since he left his house. Years of self-taught kickboxing had honed his reflexes. He decided to wait for his pursuer to come closer before striking. As the figure closed in, Bryan's heart raced in anticipation. He remained outwardly calm, walking to the far end of the narrow street. If this were just a civilian, they'd soon realize they had reached a dead end.

He reached a dead end and instinctively knew his next move. If there was something he cherished, it was combat. Fighting made him forget that he was lonely, that he was the odd one out, and most of all, it helped him push back the distraught void dreams. Relying on instinct, he estimated that the man stood an inch taller than him, his breath washing over the nape of Bryan's neck as though descending from above.

 Without any forewarning, Bryan stepped back and delivered a powerful kick to the man's face, causing him to jolt and stumble backward. The man clearly hadn't anticipated this maneuver, but from his posture, it appeared he was regaining awareness of the situation.

As he rose, the man charged toward Bryan, targeting his jaw, but Bryan's speed surpassed his. Counter-attacking his move, he punched the man on his stomach, which made the man belch feebly, and before he could regain his posture, he pinned the man face down on the cold, greased floor of the narrow laneway. The man gagged to get back, but before he could act smart, Bryan took off his t-shirt, tied the man, and laid him on his back on the ground.

That was when he got a good look at the stranger. The man was 6'2 and heavily built, with a huge scar across his face, which quite implied that the guy was a lot into fights and dangerous stuff. He was breathing quite hard after the strong combat, but his face was hard as stone with absolutely no remorse or fear. Bryan opted to break the ice first because what if the man was an introvert? "Who are you, and why did you try to attack me? "

 The man chuckled, saliva mixed with blood oozing out from his mouth, which only fueled Bryan's anger. In response, Bryan's fist connected with the man's face, causing him to bleed. With a growl, Bryan leaned closer and demanded, "Who are you, and why did you try to attack me?"  

Growling, he looked him in the face and replied, "I was ordered to threaten a 17-year-old pesty rat and make him scared, but I never expected to get cheated and walk into a 17-year-old beast to get myself bashed black and blue!"

Before Bryan could react, he heard a slow footstep approaching with a familiar tone, one he had heard before. Arnold stood behind him, clapping his hands together. You take after your father, young man.