CHAPTER 6 - MASKED TRANSFORMATION

The hallway leading to the lavatory was damp, chilled by the powerful air conditioning system. Avoiding the glances from his soon-to-be peer workers, he sped up his pace, praying to see a sign of hope stating that he had reached his destination. Where the hell is the lavatory? I've been walking like a dumbass for a fricking hour! At last, as if on cue, he found the right destination. The lavatory too seemed like a high-tech vault, as it had a huge, iron-clad automated door. Bryan couldn't help but smirk. What a waste of resources! Do they hide gold in here? 

He swiped his ID card, the one Jessica had given him earlier. The very thought of her made his mind swirl. Something about her ignited the beast inside him. Regaining his composure, he pushed through the door, briefly taken aback. The room was filled with mirrors and well-furnished basins like the ones you see in a super expensive shop. The scent of handwashes and designer perfumes merged with the smell of tobacco, which seemed too heavy for his brain to handle. Wait! tobacco?! I thought the sign outside read no smoking while at work.

As usual, his curious mind wandered, searching for the source of the tobacco smell. A blond-haired guy was smoking it all up without even thinking about his surroundings. The color of the hair was more than enough for Bryan to understand who that was. Ethan, that jerk. The smell of tobacco was so pressurizing for him to handle, as he had hated that smell when he was a small kid. Controlling the anger within, he approached him quietly.

"Hey, mind throwing that out? I believe the sign outside read 'No smoking while at work'. If you could please do it asap". The word please clearly didn't mean to come out, as he has never been too polite with anyone, but he got to keep up his manners this time. Ethan stared surprisingly at the mirror in front of him, clearly curious to see who would interrupt him, but when he did see who that was, he sneered and burst into a fit of laughter.

"Ooh, my my look who's here. If it is not the new punk". He took a huge puff of the tobacco and blew it right into the air. He then slowly turned his gaze down to the uniform Bryan was holding. "Aww, poor baby here can't even afford his uniform. Isn't that quite sad? It's too surprising to see that such a good for nothing has a tongue much longer than his...." Ethan laughed like a maniac, clearly enjoying the show.

Bryan's temples started hurting so bad. His nerves were wrecking, and every inch of his body wanted to bash up the bastard in front of him. He clenched his fist and tried to absorb the fact that if he wanted to stay here, he shouldn't create any trouble at all. Taking a deep breath, he took a step closer to Ethan. "Mind if you throw it out?" His deep, growling voice reverberated throughout the room like the menacing growl of a leopard.

Ethan took notice of the clenched fists. He didn't like the audacity of a new joinee, and never has he been questioned before, and that too by a good for nothing. Jeering down at Bryan's face, he said in a slow yet clear voice, "Haven't your parents taught you a thing or two about manners, loser? OOOH I GUESS YOU DON'T HAVE PARENTS AT ALL". Laughing out loud, he took a deep puff and blew it straight across Bryan's face.

The sentence resonated in his mind like a flashing news alert. For the first time in his life, he felt like his eyes welled up. But his inner adrenaline once again brought out the beast inside him. He put the uniform down and bashed Ethan's face straight into the basin. The force was so huge that the basin split into two, along with Ethan's face, drenched in blood. He screamed out loud, crying in pain. "YOU FUCKING BASTARD!!" He rose up and tried to punch him, but Bryan was quick.

 He kicked him straight at the ribs and punched him straight through the jaw, which bled severely as it was cut after he fell crashing to the basin. Ethan cried aloud in pain, clutching his face, which was covered in blood, sweat, and tears. He yelled for help, hoping someone would turn up before the beast across from him would kill him. Bryan took off his shirt, which was splashed with the blood of his opponent. His muscular body gleamed with his own sweat, and his breath was slow and paced like a lion waiting to eat its prey.

Bryan hovered around the writhing body in front of him. His eyes burned like the crimson hue of a blood moon. He snatched Ethan's face, averting it in front of him so that he could look into his eyes. His voice was as cold as the winter mountains, yet deep and igniting like the blazing flames. "No one speaks about my family! YOU UNDERSTAND? NO ONE SPEAKS ABOUT MY FAMILY!" Ethan felt like his end was near and cried aloud. "I-I'm s-sorry. I d-didn't mean to." Bryan felt disgusted and pushed Ethan's face hard to the ground.

He picked up his uniform and went to a nearby basin with a mirror. He washed his blood laden face, removed his cargo pants and changed into the uniform. He swept his messy hair backward and smoothed it with the hair gel. When he looked in the mirror, he felt like he was seeing someone straight out of a rom-com drama. He felt so cringed out that he wanted to change desperately. But the aim lingered in his mind. 

Taking a deep breath and leaving a death stare at the writhing body in front of him, he walked out of the lavatory, preparing himself to meet the council. Many gathered around him to see him as if he were an ethereal being. There were gasps and wows from the girls corner, and jealousy and admiration from the boys side. But he was too occupied to enjoy his stardom.

The janitor was captivated by the sight of such a handsome young man. Never in her 35 years of work experience has she seen such a handsome young lad. Humming and singing, she walked down the hallway to the lavatory. Ugh, what a mess! Cleaning lavatories is the worst thing ever. I bet that Ethan must have littered the whole place.

Rolling her eyes, she swiped the card smoothly and walked in. She stepped on a poodle of red water and quickly stepped back. "What the fuck?! Ugh, girls here should be taught a lesson or two on personal hygiene!" Disgusted, she mopped away the pool of bloody water but was stunned when she heard a gasping sound. She saw a writhing body around a pile of broken basins. Shakingly, she removed the hair surrounding the boy's face and gasped aloud. "ETHAN!!!" She screamed as loudly as she could and banged on the emergency button, which sent flashing red lights around the whole building.