Chapter Thirty Five

~Author's POV~

"Is that it? Is that who you all wanted me to be with? Someone who can do this?" Adams' voice reverberated through the hall outside, jolting Somi from her slumber.

It took a moment for her to comprehend the situation unfolding within the empty ward. She lifted her hand and glanced upward, noticing the cannula attached to her hand, connected to a drip.

The realisation struck her—she was in a hospital.

"She was carrying my child, Mom!" Adams cried out, his voice filled with anguish.

Was? Somi strained to catch any further details, but his words trailed off into silence. With each passing moment of quiet, her certainty grew that he had left the spot where he had initially been standing.

Tears welled up in her eyes, tracing a path down the corners of her face, dampening the pillow beneath her head.

"Somi!" Sarima rushed into the ward, accompanied by Homa and Amira. Tears were threatening to fall from Sarima's eyes too. "I was stuck in traffic. I'm so sorry."

"It's okay," Somi managed to say, her voice frail as she reached for Sarima. Her sister approached, enveloping her in a comforting embrace.

"She did this?" Sarima's teary eyes scanned Somi's figure, and she pulled away from the hug. The more they reacted in such a manner, the more Somi felt an intense curiosity to catch a glimpse of her own reflection.

Am I that battered? She questioned herself.

Sobs of despair erupted from her, echoing throughout the room. Sarima cautiously settled back onto the bed, wrapping her arms around Somi's prone form, attempting to console her.

"You'll be alright," Sarima whispered, pressing a tender kiss against Somi's neck.

"That spawn of hell and her accomplices will pay, wallaahi!" Amira declared, her voice laced with anger.

"She essentially trapped herself with the evidence, the foolish girl," Homa chimed in.

Family, Somi contemplated amidst her silent sobs, consisted of various units. They had been correct in that regard. However, they had erred in categorising these units into distinct roles of mother, father, and children. Because right here, at this moment, this was Somi's family. She realised they were made up of different units but undeniably similar. They showed up for one another, loved, and protected each other.

The truth of her no longer being pregnant had not fully settled within her. Grief, overshadowed by shock, had momentarily shelved that realisation. The mere thought of a life beyond the next nine months, a life that she had already meticulously planned, felt like another blow to her gut.

She didn't know what lay ahead. Uncertainty loomed before her like an imposing, mysterious abyss.

But Adams sure knew what was next.

"We were going to have a baby. Now Somi is in the hospital, and we've lost that child. She did that! Amina, to an innocent child and an innocent girl! Is that who you arranged for me to spend the rest of my life with? I hope you both feel ashamed!" Adams's voice filled the confines of his car, the speakerphone transmitting his words while his mother listened on the other end of the line.

"Masoyi na, please calm down. I am begging you. We'll definitely file for a restraining order and..." his mother pleaded.

"No, Mom," he interrupted, his tone surprisingly calm despite the rage simmering in his eyes as he gazed through the windshield. "That's at the bottom of my list. If Amina's family don't bring her out from wherever she's hiding, wallaahi tallaahi, they will regret ever crossing paths with me."