Nine

Stella was correct about their professor. He explained the class rules and grading system, and though he discussed a few cases right away, he came across as affable, strict yet fair.

"That was a lot for his first class," Stella comments, waving her notebook. "I filled two pages already."

"But at least you were right that he wasn't that scary," Theodore replies. "I quite like him. He's straight to the point."

Outside, Steve and Aloysius from Omicron Delta Phi await them. Some of their block mates cast curious glances their way but refrain from asking questions.

Theodore takes a deep breath and turns to Stella. "Stella, go ahead. I'll meet you at the restaurant."

Stella bites her lower lip, tugging at his sleeve. "Theo..."

"It's fine," he reassures her.

She sighs and nods in resignation, shooting a glare at Steve and Aloysius as she walks past them.

Jacob is the last person to leave the room, but as he sees the recruiters, he hides behind the closed door.

"Let's go to the meeting," Steve utters, his tone authoritative.

Austin bobs his head politely and motions to their side, avoiding Theodore's gaze.

Realizing that Austin has made up his mind to join the meeting, Theodore stands his ground and firmly states, "I'm sorry, but you should go without me."

Steve pinches his mouth in disbelief. "What? Are you kidding me?"

"I'm not. Sorry."

"After all that, you're quitting?" Steve asks, incredulous.

"Yes."

"Your father is an active member," Aloysius interjects sharply.

"I'm aware."

There are many, many things that Theodore has decided on his own. And most of these things his parents still have no idea about.

This is just the beginning.

"A little beating made you chicken out?" Steve taunts.

Unable to keep silent any longer, Jacob pushes the classroom door open and steps forward, his gaze sharp and unforgiving as he confronts the two fraternity members. Theodore shuffles back a step or two as Jacob stands beside him, courage suddenly gushing through his body.

Steve responds with a sarcastic laugh. "And here's another one."

"Just go, Steve," Jacob says in a low tone. "He's not going to join Omicron."

"Is it because you're like him?" Steve points a finger at Jacob, then wags it dismissively in Theodore's face. "Are you gay, too?"

Theodore snaps, "Piss off."

Austin's eyes widen in confusion as he tries to make sense of the escalating tension.

"It's because of that, isn't it? You're like this fa—"

Fury surges through Theodore's chest, his vision tunneling with anger. He won't tolerate Steve's slurs again, but before he can throw a punch, Steve collapses to the ground.

"What the fuck—"

Color drains out of his face as he gazes up at the person who shoved him.

"Watch your mouth," the stern voice belongs to Leo, who is notably bigger than the other fraternity members and was present during the hazing, though he didn't actively participate. Leo was more of an authority figure, overseeing the events like the boss of the council he actually was.