Thirty-Six

Theodore bites his tongue, throat closing up. Jacob exhales and answers politely, "I am honored and grateful for your offer, Ma'am, Sir. I do like court litigation, and my experience at your firm was... Was phenomenal. It was during that time I knew I didn't regret going into law."

Olivia's tense shoulders loosen.

Jacob, with a reassuring grip on Theodore's hand, proceeds, "But I have to respectfully decline. If it makes Theodore uncomfortable, I can't go through with it."

"Jake..." Theodore's voice wavers.

Alfredo leans in his chair. "What's causing this discomfort, Theodore? We're letting you do what you want, and we're only giving Jacob the opportunity because he's interested in the path we paved for you."

Theodore clenches his fists and stares at Jacob.

Right. This is a good chance for him to kickstart his career in a prestigious law firm, focusing on corporate law and litigation in general. He can't make this decision for him.

"Do you... Do you want to...? Are you okay with this?" he questions.

"Be honest, Jacob. We won't take it against you if you refuse," Olivia urges.

Jacob's eyes glow with inner light as he nods. "I... I do, Theo. But it's a lot of pressure because you are the standard I have to meet. And if you don't want me to, I understand–"

"No! You should do it," Theodore utters, the words bursting out. "I'm sorry. I didn't think you'd want to work at the firm. And I didn't want you to feel like you'd have to do this for me."

Jacob shakes his head firmly. "You don't need to worry."

Alfredo continues eating and declares, "Then that's settled."

Theodore chews his bottom lip, his chin dipping down as he mumbles an apology. "I'm sorry... I got worked up over nothing."

"It's alright, Theo. We know the past year hasn't been easy for our family. We hope you also understand that we want what is best for you and your future," his mother explains.

"As your mother had said, do your best. You're an Aguilar. Remember that. If you're going astray, at least do it well."

He doesn't reply, long accustomed to this approach to discipline. But at least he's free to do as he pleases.

At what cost?

"Jacob managing the law firm after we retire in around five years sounds like a good idea, too, right? He'll start as an associate, of course, but he might become a junior partner ahead of his peers."

And there it is.

"Mom... Don't start..." Theodore says through gritted teeth. "That's nepotism."

"Not if he's amazing."

Jacob presses his lips together and scratches his cheek awkwardly. "Not to sound ungrateful, but I would really prefer not to receive any special treatment."

"Exactly," Theodore asserts. "Mom, promise us. You won't pull strings or whatnot."

Alfredo expels a resigned sigh, "Ah, kids these days."

"Alright, alright," Olivia surrenders. "He'll have to prove himself. But I still think he'd be great as a potential successor."

Theodore grunts, squeezing his eyes shut.

"What? Just don't break up. Actually, you can't break up. Jacob can have everything, and then we can rest easy that the two of you will live well. Jake, do that, okay? Take care of Theo."