9. Ferris Fairytales

I was becoming intimately familiar with the idea of seduction. It's effects had been lingering across my skin ever since that poetic night with Eli.

It was utterly subtle in his demeanor, but he had a tangible allure I couldn't get out of my head. Especially since he hadn't gone further than letting me get a taste.

Our kiss had been euphoric, but it also felt like the beginnings of something cataclysmic. Like a mind-blowing orgasm or two.

"So, how was the date?" My assistant, Claire questioned eagerly after setting a few files on my desk.

She was exactly what you thought of when you imagined an AKA, especially with the pink and green cardigan she'd styled today. A flawless silk press and skin like melted chocolate combined with stellar recommendations and even better results made her the perfect person to have my back here.

Usually, I tried to keep my personal and professional life separate, but I'd spent enough late nights with Claire that she was practically a close friend. It was everyone out for themselves at work, so it felt good to have someone in my corner.

"Good enough that we were supposed to already be on our second one." I smiled as I finished up the last of my work before lunch.

As anticipated, work had gotten in the way of my dating life once again, but Eli took it all in stride. He was so understanding that it was almost suspicious, but I was trying to ignore those typical self-sabotaging thoughts.

I'd been so used to the behavior that I didn't want that it would be an adjustment getting the behavior that I'd prayed for. It was stupidly paradoxical, but it's human nature.

If I even dared telling Hyacinthe my hesitations, she'd probably laugh in my face at the irony of the shoe being on the other foot. Once upon a time, I told her that she'd been worth having something just a little perfect, and here I was about to block my own blessing.

With resolve fresh in my mind, I type out a quick text to Eli.

What are you doing tonight?

I bit my lip as I sent the message off. My heart was beating loudly that I could've sworn everyone in the room could hear it.

Liking someone wasn't something that happened often for me. Men caught my attention just fine, but keeping it was a whole other ball game.

Even back in college, Eli didn't push or shove to get my attention. He barely had to ask, and he'd be stuck in my mind. Which was exactly why I had to cut things off.

Graduation had been set in my sights, and I wasn't going to put anything above securing a new start for me and my family. My success wasn't going to just be my own, so I knew the same would be true for my failure.

I couldn't afford it then, and I damn sure can't afford it now. Except...

Don't we all deserve a little honey in our lives?

Eli

Nothing that can't be rescheduled. Wassup?

🐞

When you're a child of ten, especially one of the eldest, you tend to miss out on things. It's not necessarily anyone's fault, it's just the way of things.

More times than I could count, I had to cancel something to babysit my siblings. It eventually got to the point that most of my friends stopped inviting me out. Even after I moved out the house, homework and then actual work were my new reasons.

It was tough making space and finding the energy to do things most days, specifically new things. But, I was committed to at least going on a second date with Eli, which is how we ended up at the state fair.