Chapter 17

I walked through the school the next day, glaring at the security cameras bitterly as I passed. I felt grimy as I looked at them, like there were people watching me. For all I knew there were, especially if Gerard knew I was a witch like I suspected he might.

I sighed and followed Allison as she entered the library, glancing around briefly. It was mostly quiet, the only students in here being the one's with a free period. The sound of shuffling feet and turning pages filled the air, as well as the quiet whispers of hushed conversations.

Allison and I glanced at the security camera before strolling behind a shelf, making small talk with one another until we were out of sight. As soon as we were, I took the tablet out of my bag and slid it across the bookshelf, where Scott and Stiles were waiting on the other side. Through the gaps of the shelf I watched as Scott turned on the tablet, looking through the translations Lydia had done on the bestiary.

"It's everything Lydia could translate, and trust me, she was very confused," Allison said as the two boys looked at the tablet.

Scott looked up from the device. "Oh yeah, what did you tell her?"

"That we were part of an online gaming community that battles mythical creatures," I recited proudly. "I came up with it."

"I am part of an online gaming community that battles mythical creatures."

I blinked. "Oh... sick. What's it called?"

Stiles grinned, opening his mouth to tell me when Scott interrupted him. Stiles sent him a dirty look, mouthing the words I'll tell you later to me.

"Okay, does it say how to find out whose controlling it?" Scott asked us, looking back to the tablet.

Allison shook her head. "Not really, but Stiles was right about the murders."

Stiles fist pumped the air violently, muttering the word yes under his breath.

Allison continued. "It calls the Kanima a weapon of vengeance."

"There's a story in there about this south American priest who uses the Kanima to execute murders in his village," I added.

Stiles nudged Scott. "Alright see, so maybe it's not all bad."

"-until the bond grew strong enough that it killed whoever he wanted it to," I finished.

Stiles stared at me, horrified. "All bad, all very, very bad."

"Here's the thing though," Allison said. "The Kanima's actually supposed to be a werewolf, but it can't be until it resolves that in its past which manifested it."

Stiles scoffed, rubbing the side of his face irritatedly. "Okay, if that means Jackson could use a few thousand hours of therapy, I could have told you that myself."

"What if it has something to do with his parents," I suggested. "His real parents."

Scott looked from us to Stiles questioningly. "Yeah, does anybody know what actually happened to them?"

Stiles thought for a second before saying, "Lydia might."

"What if she doesn't know anything?" Scott asked.

"Jackson will," Stiles said, "except we both have a restraining order against him so..."

Both boys looked at Allison and I expectantly and I snorted shaking my head. No way was I going to spend any more time with that piece of work.

"Don't look at me," I said. "If I spent more than five minutes in a room with him I'll end up punching him. Or strangling him. Whichever I think of first."