Thirty-Three: Playing Hero

This was definitely a day for the books. Could this even be the same morning he had been losing the boss battle of Tribe Wars and Ryland had come into his room and discovered Faye's journal? Now here he was, facing another boss battle.

But this one wouldn't allow him to respawn if he died.

His brother had lost his blessings—maybe their dad had too. And Quentin's own health was at stake, if he lived long enough for it to matter. But he had the demon to thank for his life, so it seemed fitting to return it to him. He would have liked to say something to Rhia before going, but there wasn't a chance.

Instead, he gathered up all his courage and headed straight to Dorian.

The demon looked at him, still holding the knife.

"You are Faye?"

Quentin-the-fox nodded his head. It was true. This skin was Faye's. It would fit the requirement. But the blood he drew would be Quentin's. Worthless for freeing Dorian Gray from the prison of the In-between.

Dorian put a hand on Quentin's shoulder, keeping him steady. With his other hand, he carefully brought the knife closer.

The moment the blade pierced his flesh, the entire world exploded.

************

Image credit: https://pixabay.com/photos/fox-redfox-wildlife-animal-urban-7989833/