Chapter 9

September 2018

My flight lands in Michigan around noon, and I'm reunited with the Midwest. After spending my summer in New York as an intern at Friar McKinley Capital Investments, I'm thrilled to return to the world's best cheese curds, wide-open spaces, and seeing tractors drive down the highway – knowing it's normal.

Of course, I loved New York. It was an entirely different vibe than what I've grown up experiencing. I had a tiny studio apartment, and it was weird having my kitchen, living space and bedroom all in one room. It also took a while to get used to the constant noise of traffic, police sirens, and the sound of the pedestrians' hustle and bustle. But I loved how the city was vibrant, cultured, and full of new and exciting opportunities. I also loved the food scene and ate one too many bagels and pastrami sandwiches.

What I loved the most, though, was the opportunity to be one of the five selected interns at one the most prestigious financial firms in the country. The experience I obtained at their firm was priceless. I was given hands-on experience in creating and reviewing client profiles. I learned how to analyze financial data and provide analytical support to clients on valuations and financings. And I was the only intern offered the opportunity to shadow a principal partner as they interacted with existing clients.

When I contemplated turning down the opportunity to move to New York or stay in Ann Arbor with Zach, I was torn. I didn't want to change our already established plans, but I also knew that if I turned down this opportunity, I might never get it again. And after days of Zach pushing me to take the internship in New York, I finally decided I needed to take that leap. And after a few days of living in New York, being immersed in Wall Street, and learning from the best in the business, I quickly realized I made the right choice. New York was where I needed to be. Zach was right, even though I was devastated to leave him behind.

I missed him. I missed him so much—more than I've ever missed anyone in my entire life. I survived my time in New York by relying on weekly Facetime sessions with Zach. I missed our connection and the familiarity between us. It worried me when I realized I was becoming dependent on him to help me survive my first time living away from home. I had never had to depend on anyone in my entire life.

As I pass through the gates, Zach appears. He's smiling when I head down the escalator, and he jogs toward me, pulls me in for a hug, and squeezes me so fucking hard.

My entire body is full of tiny vibrations when he gives me that smile for the first time in months.

"What's kickin' little chicken," he says playfully.

He's wearing black jeans and a white t-shirt stretched tight across his biceps and lats. His hair has grown longer and falls over his forehead, and his smile straightens when I say, "You crushed my lungs."

He laughs, and I take a step backward.

Zach gives me an appreciative once-over, blowing out a low whistle. "Geez, Annie. Are you a beaver? Cause damnnn."

I know he's joking because Zach loves nothing more than trying out a new cheesy pick-up line to make me laugh. And, of course, he gets the reaction he was hoping for. I burst out laughing and gave him my best twirl.

"Zach Zimmerman, are you hitting on me?"

"No," he says, grinning. "I'm complimenting you."

"Thank God," I say, reaching onto the conveyor belt to grab my luggage. "You had me worried for a minute."

Zach catches my hand for a second as I reach for my luggage, just long enough for his fingers to ghost over my wrist. "Seriously, though. You look good," he says, snagging my luggage from me and pulling it from the carousel. "In-person, that nose ring looks badass. It suits you."