Chapter 17: The Destroyer Arrives

A shaft of sunlight, filtered through the silken drapes, dared to intrude upon the slumber of a god. Beerus, the Destroyer, stirred, his feline eyes cracking open with a slowness that belied the mischief they often held. His whiskers twitched, scenting the faintest whiff of disappointment lingering in the air. Had Whis, his ever-patient attendant, neglected to prepare his fish paste breakfast?

But no, a deeper, more primal pang gnawed at him. A premonition, as sharp as a ki blade, danced at the edge of his consciousness. The prophecy – the whispered legend of a Saiyan God. His tail swished with anticipation, finally banishing the dregs of sleep. "Whis!" he boomed, his voice resonating through the opulent bedroom.

Whis appeared at the foot of the bed, an angelic blue beacon in the golden chamber. "Lord Beerus, have you awoken? I trust your slumber was restful?"

Restful? Hardly. The Saiyan God. The warrior foretold to rival a god of destruction. Could today be the day? Beerus stretched, his purple fur crackling with contained energy. "Whis," he purred a dangerous glint in his eyes, "Today just may be the day I find my rival. The...uh...it was something about a God. What was it now?"

Whis jogged his memory, "Saiyan God." Beerus nodded, "Yes, that's the name." His eyes went wide as he remembered something crucial. Beerus had told Frieza to eliminate the Saiyans for him.

"Whis! Tell me, how many Saiyans are there left in the universe?" Beerus Inquired. The angel attendant looked through his staff and a few moments later he had an answer. "There are eleven Saiyans left. Seven of them reside on planet Earth, and two are on a barren planet, Vampa. One is on a distant planet, although he seems to be the weakest out of the rest. And the last one seems to be sealed away," he answered to the God of Destruction.

Beerus was surprised. "Eleven you say? Are any of them the Saiyan God?"

"None of them seem to have Godly ki. Although one in particular is stronger than the rest," Whis says.

"Good enough, let's pay them a little visit," Beerus spoke.

Whis inclined his head gracefully. "As you command, Lord Beerus."

Beerus and Whis materialized in a flash of light on the floor of the yacht, right in the middle of Bulma's extravagant birthday celebration. The music blaring from speakers shaped like giant dragon balls ceased abruptly, replaced by a stunned silence. Guests in glittering gowns and tuxedos gaped at the two newcomers, their eyes wide with a mixture of awe and trepidation.

At the center of the gathering, Bulma, the birthday girl herself, stood frozen, a half-blown party horn hanging limply from her lips. Beside her, Vegeta, ever the Saiyan prince, was the first to react. Recognizing the familiar purple skin and regal bearing, he dropped to one knee, his brow furrowed in deference.

"Lord Beerus," he greeted, his voice low and respectful. "What brings you to Earth?"

Beerus, however, seemed oblivious to the commotion he had caused. His feline eyes, narrowed against the unfamiliar brightness, darted around the lavish spread of food laid out before him. The aroma of roasted meats, grilled seafood, and exotic desserts tickled his nose, making his stomach rumble.

"Whis," he rasped, his voice rough with hunger, "tell me that among all these...Earthlings, someone cooked fish paste?"

Whis, ever the unflappable attendant, chuckled softly. "Vegeta, is there any fish paste here?"

"Yes, follow me," the prince says. He gestured towards a small, silver cooler nestled discreetly amongst the mountains of food. Beerus's face broke into a predatory grin as he waddled towards it. The assembled guests watched in stunned silence as the Destroyer of worlds, seemingly uninterested in the Saiyan God he had come to seek, focused his attention on a single plate of fermented fish.