Chapter 4: Don't look a gift horse in the mouth

Edwina didn't sleep well that night.

Firstly, there was the wind rushing through the old castles' windows and walls. Then, in the morning when she finally fell asleep, Lucia came and told her about Robinson's sickness. 

"Poor man." She hopes he would recover soon. Of course she insisted that he would stay here. Fortunately, Lady Blithisfiled has no objections. 

"Excuse me?"

"Oh, I'm sorry, Lucia, I was just in thoughts." Edwina hasn't noticed that she spoke out her last words while Lucia prepares her hair for a ride outside.

It has been the idea of Lady Blithisfield. Earlier this morning the Dowager Countess asked the little group at breakfast if they were interested in a little ride in the woods. After the two princes and Edwina kindly agreed, Lady Blithisfield said with her unmistakable smile: "Well, so I wish you a very good time. Unfortunately, I won't be able to join. My back isn't young enough anymore to endure such pleasures."

Edwina had to bite her cheek to keep from laughing. The elderly woman was a real treasure. It was quite obvious that the Dowager Countess wanted to arrange some private time for her young visitors. Edwina asked herself if The Queen gave her old friend any instructions for Edwina's and Prince Friedrich's ... time together.

Now, that she has finally met the prince about whom so much has been said. And after everything she is able to say after two meals together Prince Friedrich seems quite polite, kind and courteous. No wonder, the womens' hearts are flying towards him. He would surely be a wonderful husband.

"Stop it!"

"I'm sorry, Miss?"

"Oh, no, Lucia, I didn't mean you."

"Your thoughts again?" Lucia smiles.

"Exactly." Edwina laughs.

"A coin for your thoughts ...", Lucia mumbles as she continues to fix her hair.

Edwina picks up her train of thought again. She tries to stop herself of thinking about a husband. Not because she doesn't like the visage of Prince Friedrich - not at all - it is just ... Her heart was broken only a few months ago. She doesn't want it to be broken again.

"You are ready, Miss."

Edwina looks up in the mirror. Her riding outfit and her hair fit like a glove.

"Thank you, Lucia. As long as I am gone, you can do whatever you want."

Lucia smiles. "That's very generous, thank you. Maybe I'll take a little walk outside."

Edwina stands up and goes towards the door of her room.

She is looking forward to the ride. Prince Friedrich is a kind man with whom it is easy to chat with. No matter what the people wanted them to be ... but yes, she would enjoy the time. Who knows, it is just day two in Weymouth. 

And about his younger brother ... Well, she has never expected to see the man from the inn again - and now here he is as Prince Carl Georg of Prussia. Or Prince Carl, as he charmingly offered her to call him. 

She can't really asses him. Prince Carl is very different from his brother - apart from his looks. His whole personality exuded happiness - he was undoubtedly a great charmer and a cheerful companion - but at the same time there was something else that Edwina can't really grasp. And why was he at the inn and why didn't he tell her who he was?

Well, good for her that his older brother is obviously much more sociable.

"Not really? What did you do then?" Edwina's eyes get big as she is listening the story of Prince Carl.

"He? Nothing." Prince Friedrich smiles. "I saved him from the situation."

"He really did." Prince Carl shrughs his shoulders. "Even though I would have solved it myself."

"Of course you would." 

The brothers and Edwina laugh. 

They are already riding about an hour through the lanscape of Weymouth. Currently they pass through a beautiful forest. Birds chirp and now and then game jumps through the bushes.

"You are a true brother, Your Royal Highness", Edwina says admiring.

"Well", he looks at her sheepishly and smiles cautiously, "I think it is a duty of honour. Nothing special. But I appreciate your kind words, Miss Edwina."

"Didn't the Dowager Countess say yesterday that you have a sister,  Miss Edwina?", Prince Carl asks form the other side.

"Oh, yes, I do." Edwina smiles. "She is my one and only. Kate has always been there for me except ..." Her voice trails off. She can't impede that her thoughts still come back to the events earlier this year.

"Except?"

"Nothing." Edwina smiles towards Prince Carl. "She is a wonderful sister."

"Speaking of which ...", Prince Friedrich drives his horse. "Over there is the great cliff. The view is wonderful, too." 

As they follow him they reach  a rocky ledge. About twenty meters below them the spray glashes against the rock. The view is overwhelming. Nothing but water and sky as far as the eye can see.

Edwina reins in her horse. "It is amazing", she says enthusiastic.

"It is. I found the place just a few days ago ...", Prince Carl says looking at the sea as if his thoughts were somewhere else.

"Nothing but water and sky as far as the eye can see."

Edwina looks at Prince Carl surprised.

"Is everything alright?", he asks as he notices it.

"Oh, yes, it is just ... I had exactly the same thought."

Prince Carl laughs. "Not entirely unlikely in the same place. What do you mean, Friedrich?"

"Hm?" His brother turns back to them. "Yes, of course. It's wonderful. Carl, Miss Edwina, I am sorry but I need to return home now."

"What? Why?"

"I have an appointment soon and I don't want to be late."

"You should also not want to be unpolite towards this lady", Carl says with raised eyebrows.

"Miss Edwina ..."

"No, please, it is absolutely alright for me if you leave. You shouldn't let your appointment wait." Edwina tries to smile although Prince Carl isn't totally wrong. Is is indeed a bit sad that Prince Friedrich wants to leave, now that they spent such a nice time together.

"I do thank you very much. We will see us later." With these words Prince Friedrich turns his horse and gallops away.

Edwina looks at Carl questioningly.

He shrugs his shoulders. "Don't ask me. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."