Chapter 4

After spending the last twenty minutes trying different styles on my hair, I huffed and settled for a simple half up half down. I slicked down my edges and winked at my reflection.

A part of me wanted to do my makeup then the other part of me realised just how hot it was outside. I found a happy medium with filling in my eyebrows and swiping some lip gloss on.

Within five minutes, I had my cut-off shorts on with a flowy, yellow crop top. I spritzed myself with perfume then grabbed my phone and purse before heading into the living room.

"You're here already?" I raised my brow at Ryder. He was sitting on the love seat, propping his head up with his fist.

"What do you mean 'already'? You told me to get here at 4:30..." He trailed off as he picked up his phone and turned on the screen, "It's 5:05."

My dad chuckled from his seat on the couch, "By now you should know you need to show up an hour after she tells you too."

Ryder joined in, nodding his head, "Yeah, now I know for next time."

I groaned and dropped in the seat beside him, "Don't let my dad fool you. He'd never be late to pick up my mom."

"You do know that I'm only going to this thing because you asked me to."

"Yup and I love that you're at my every beck and call."

"If you let her walk over you now, she'll do it forever. Trust me." My dad muttered the last part under his breath, a smile tugging at his lips.

Ryder slung his arm around my shoulder and said, "I'm in too deep now."

My dad chuckled, "I can't even blame you, the Myers women are something else."

"What's this about Myers women?" Gianna asked as she strolled into the room. Her hair was pulled into a bun that complimented the baby blue of her sundress.

"Nothing sweetie." My dad smiled when their eyes met.

"Are the two of you ready now?" Ryder asked. We both nodded. "I still can't believe I agreed to be your chauffeur," he grumbled while pulling me up.

I shrugged, "We needed a designated driver plus I really wanted you there with me."

"I'll get them back home safely," Ryder said to my dad as he ushered Gianna and I through the front door.

The three of us got into Ryder's car. In a matter of seconds, we were speeding down the road. I never understood his need to drive this fast but eventually I stopped commenting on it when he drove faster anytime I questioned it.

"Henry's little brother is the one throwing this thing, right?"

I nodded, "His name is Colby. The two of you were on the same basketball team."

"I know but I still see him as Henry's brother," he said before his eyes flicked over to me, "You look hot," he whispered then raised his voice when he complimented my sister, "You look great too, Brit."

"Thanks, Ryder." She giggled.

I leaned over so only he heard me, "If I didn't know any better, I'd start to think you were flirting." Ryder chuckled and winked as I adjusted myself in my seat again.

My mind drifted back to what Gianna said yesterday. The words still stung but neither of us mentioned it again. Actually, we hadn't said two words to each other after that.

I reached over and turned up the music, humming along to each song the DJ played. The city around us flashed by and the lack of heavy traffic was quite surprising.