Chapter 7

“Can you pick us up in like two hours?” I asked, hugging my phone to my ear. I managed to convince my sister that I was sober enough to go to the bathroom alone but she was two steps down the hall. A win was a win in my book.

        “What happened? I thought you drove there.”

        “I did but I think I’ve had too much to drink and I don’t want to risk it.”

        “No problem. I’ll be there. I’ll bring Joey with me to pick up your car so you don’t have to go back tomorrow.”

    A relieved sigh passed through my lips, “Thank you, thank you! I’ll see you later, Ryder.”

        “Bye, Brit.”

    With that, I hung up the phone and walked back into the hallway. As expected, Gianna was standing a few steps away talking to her best friend, Vivian.

        “Hey, Viv. How are you?”

        “I’m great, babe, you?”

        “Same. Now let’s go back to the party!” I cheered and led the group back to the centre of the dancing bodies.

    The three of us danced together and a few more girls from our year joined us. As the music slowed in tempo, each guy found a girl. Strong arms wrapped around my waist from behind and I looked back to see Derek grinning down at me.

    He leaned his head down beside my ear and whispered, “You look so good in that dress.” The smell of whiskey was strong on his breath.

        “Thanks,” I said and began swaying to the music with him.

    Derek was actually a good dancer. The two of us matched each other and with every song that passed, I got more and more into it.

        “I really hope that you’re coming to this party tomorrow.”

    I turned to face him, wrapping my arms around his neck. I only had one more drink since joining the party but my head still wasn’t fully clear even if I thought it was, “I told you that I was.”

        “Great.”

    Our eyes stayed locked as we moved in sync. Derek was one of the most attractive guys in our year and he had the reputation to match it. I used to have a crush on him a few years ago until I found out that he wasn’t the commitment type. His eyes flicked down to my lips then back up, I shook my head while trying to hide a smirk. He smiled and nodded.

    After a few moments, I took a step back, “I’m going to get some water.” Derek released his grip on my waist and let me walk away. I leaned over to my sister who was dancing with Colby and told her the same thing.

        “Do you want me to come with?”

        “I’m good.”

    In the kitchen, there was only one other person that I wasn’t paying any attention to as I opened the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water.

        “So you and Evans?” A deep voice spoke from the other side of the open door. I slowly closed it and came face to face with Jaxon.

   I sighed, “What are you talking about?”

        “I thought you and Jones were a thing, now it’s Evans?”

        “There’s no ‘thing’ going on. Ryder is my best friend and Derek and I were only dancing. It’s none of your business anyway. Weren’t you dry humping someone an hour ago?”