Chapter 3

Have you ever wished it was possible to DIE from embarrassment? At least that way you wouldn't have to live with the consequences of your stupidity.

Say, for example, you smash your face into a glass wall, thinking it's a door in front of someone who you find incredibly attractive... at that moment, it would only be fair to die of embarrassment so you don't have to experience what happens next.

That was my first thought as I hit the ground, my face suddenly covered in blood, which got all over my pink 1940's pinup dress with decorative buttons at the waist. It was one of my favorite pieces. The material flared out right below my waist, making me feel like I had stepped right out of an edition of VOGUE magazine from the 1940s. 

I glanced down at the ground, seeing a small splatter of blood along Laurence Royal's most likely priceless rug. 

So much for my work bonus... Just let me die.

Laurence Royal swore, his chair screeching, and then there was. Laurence Royal stared down at me with open concern. "Are you alright Miss Autumns?" he asked.

With this view? YES.

"Can you sit up?"

"I think I better stay here a second," I replied, momentarily transfixed by how utterly handsome and wonderfully close he was. That was a background I wanted to add to all of my devices. He could be the poster boy of my computer and phone background any day.

"You're bleeding."

WORTH IT.

He helped me into a sitting position, his hand on the small of my back, his other hand holding mine to help me sit up, and my nose seemed to suddenly bleed faster. The feel of his skin against mine, even for a second, nearly made me pass out from blood loss.

He handed me a cream-colored monogrammed silk handkerchief. An actual handkerchief like it was the 1950's. Something that was so insanely attractive that I nearly groaned with frustration. 

Why does he have to have all the props from one of my favorite time periods?!? 

The handkerchief was beautiful. I couldn't use it. It was too pretty—

"Miss Autumns, there is no sense in getting more blood on that lovely dress of yours."

"Your rug," I said, the pain suddenly bringing the world back into focus now that my eyes were no longer on Laurence Royal's face. 

"It's just a rug," he replied.

I shoved the handkerchief against my nose, beyond embarrassed. "I'm sorry," I murmured.

He raised a brow, leaning back on his heels as he continued to crouch before me. "Why on earth would you be sorry? It's not your fault that the glass walls were the only material Miss Winters and I could agree on when restructuring this floor, and now you live with a daily death trap."

Laurence Royal sighed, fingers running along the side of his hair, keeping every strand in place even as he itched to run his fingers through it in frustration. "Or that my attempt at kindness literally caused you to bleed."

I stumbled to my feet, growing angry as I thought of Liam.

"Don't apologize for being kind."

You are boring Lily Autumns...

"Kindness is a rare trait, and should be cherished!"

I want more...

I shook Liam out of my head, my anger burning brighter, my face red.