Chapter 14

"I'm gonna go get myself a drink from the vending machine, you guys want anything?" I ask as I start to stand up

"Could you get me a Coke?" Luca mumbles over his sandwich, causing me to hold back a grimace.

"Sure, you guys want anything?" I turn to the rest.

Gray and Alex shake their heads, and Matteo continues to stare down at his phone as his fingers repeatedly type away on the screen.

"Matteo?" He doesn't look up.

"Matteo?" I call louder this time, tearing his attention away from his phone where it has been for the last thirty minutes.

"What?" He snaps, visibly frustrated by something.

I frown. "I was just asking if you wanted anything from the vending machine, jeez." I mumble.

He sighs deeply and finally puts down the phone. Shaking his head he mutters a small "no thanks."

Tilting my head and squinting my eyes, I look him up and down and examine him, taking in his messed up appearance. He always looks annoyed at something in the world, but right now he looks even more angry than usual.

His jaw is clenched so hard i don't know how his teeth aren't hurting, his hair is messed up and sticking in every direction- probably from running his hand through it way too many times, and his eyes hold this look of irritation like he might snap at someone at any second.

Opening his eyes, he notices my obvious staring and narrows his eyes threateningly. "What?" He demands through clenched teeth. 

"Nothing." I quickly say, looking away from his penetrating eyes, choosing to focus on my shoes. "Um- anyways," I scurry away awkwardly.

.•° ✿ °•.

"Stupid thing." I groan softly, using my hand to slap the glass on the vending machine. When that doesn't work, I slap the side a couple of times and repeatedly push the same button to get it unstuck.

"You need help?" A male voice greets my ear.

"Um, yes please." My cheeks burn as I back away. Turning my head, I see a guy standing there, leaning against one of the other machines as he watches my attempts in amusement.

"I don't know if you can, though." I add, "it's stuck."

I watch him as he walks over then uses both of his hands and shakes the vending machine hard enough for the Coke water bottle to come rolling out.

Picking the bottles up, he brings them to me with a little grin on his face. "Here ya go." He hands them to me, and I take them with a grateful smile.

"Oh." I say, feeling stupid because of how easy it looked.

He chuckles, "the machines are always stuck, you just gotta give it a little nudge."

"I'll remember that next time." I smile. "Thank you, by the way."