▫️ Five

LILITH

"Come on man, let's go." Orion pleaded with his best friend as he shook his shoulders for the third time.

Lucas had finally been discharged and we were all standing by the parking lot waiting to go home.

Orion was coaxing Dr Lorenzo into leaving with us but he seemed reluctant about the offer.

He had helped us a lot regarding Lucas' treatment, going to a point where he helped us purchase the drugs the doctor had recommended.

He had been with us during the entire period and I knew everyone here was open to him joining us.

"Every friend of Orion is a friend to us," Luce smiled encouragingly, Adams adding that he also wanted to get acquainted with him.

With everyone's attention now on him, Dr Lorenzo mumbled a few words to Orion and then glanced at me.

I watched Orion whisper back another couple of words as he looked at all of us as if asking for our approval.

"Lily you should smile at least, Enzo here might think you don't want him coming with us."

Luce chuckled and nudged my arm as Lucas looked up at me at the mention of my name.

"You're welcome to join us Dr Lorenzo," this time I smiled, and after some seconds of eye contact, he nodded.

Luce's car was large enough for us to fit since she sat at the front with Adams whereas Dr Lorenzo, Orion and I sat at the back.

I was sandwiched between the two men, Orion chatting endlessly on one end whereas Dr Lorenzo silently sat on my right.

"How are you adjusting with work at the hospital?" Orion asked after a while, turning to the man beside me.

"I'm managing," Dr Lorenzo replied, and I sat straighter so as not to feel invisible because they were communicating over my head.

"I hope everything is working out well," they exchanged a glance that seemed to pass a secret message.

I noticed Dr Lorenzo stiffly nod and after the two realized that I watching, Orion changed the conversation.

"If you encounter any difficulties you can disturb my sister with any kinds of questions," Orion draped his arm over my shoulder.

He playfully glanced at me and I attempted not to glare, instead smiling along with him as I pressed his right rib.

He let go of me after a small wince, his smile still wide when Adams looked at us through the rear view mirror.

We had almost gone silent until I felt a slight movement on my right and turning to Dr Lorenzo, he was looking over at my brother.

"Lilith has helped me a lot so far." I hadn't expected that, and the same could be said about everyone in the car.

"Oh really, I'm glad that she has been of help for once." I stepped over Orion's right leg while putting on a straight face.

I tried not to think so much and look unbothered but the fact that he'd said my name so tenderly made it almost impossible.

Lilith

His voice calling out my name played over and over in my mind and I don't think I'd thought of my name this long before.

I could feel his gaze on my right side profile, my cheeks growing warmer each passing second when he didn't look away.

"How did you and Dr Lorenzo become friends?" Luce asked, cutting off the silence and I almost sighed.

"Enzo used to be our military doctor until a month ago when he got transferred here. I've known him for about two years now."