XXXII. WANT FOR NOTHING

CONTENT WARNING:
Slight Sexual Content (no smut), Nightmare, Emotional Abuse, Hallucinations, Symptoms of Panic Attacks, Stalking (not described in-depth), Vomiting, Mentions of Death

✯ ✯ ✯

✯      ✯      ✯

✯ ✯ ✯

      The sun was warm on Antares' face, its yellow haze illuminating his dark curls as he lay contently on the zoysia grass lawn. The small leaf blades were soft, cradling his hands where they rested on the back of his neck. He inhaled quietly, enjoying the gentle breeze and the soothing scent of paperbark trees. It had been so long that he almost forgot the smell. He should have paid more attention to it on the night of Devon's party, but it was such a small thing that he forgot about it. Looking back on it, Antares couldn't believe that he did.

There was peace to it, free and all-encompassing. Antares could feel it seeping into his bones, softening the very ridges of his soul. He savoured it — basked in it.

It made him wonder why he ever left home, to begin with.

He sighed in contentment, feeling the hand that was resting on his chest move to the side of his face. Antares turned his head to the side, following the caress, and his grey eyes connected with soft green ones.

Vita's smile was soft, like the grass they laid on, like the breeze that blew by. Half her body was strewn over his, seeking out his touch. Her fingers continued their exploration, tracing the edge of Antares' cheekbone and falling to the side of his jaw. Her touch was fire, setting his skin alight. When Vita's thumb grazed his lip, he kissed it, raising his hand to cover hers. Unlike his, the skin of her hand was smooth and unembellished, aside from a small beauty mark just under her forefinger — a stark contrast to the raised scar that ran across his palm.

Antares could have had it healed, but he decided it was better to leave it. It was a trophy and a wound. One he earned during his first duelling competition. It remained on him forever, while Darren Bennett (his rival and co-champion) most likely healed the jagged scar that lashed his wand arm. Antares didn't blame him. Diffindo was a nasty thing.

"Keep that up, and I won't be responsible for my actions," Antares whispered.

Vita laughed, a melodic sound that resonated with him. "Is that a threat or a promise?" she teased.

Antares smirked, clutching the hand he held tighter and used it to roll them over. "Why not both?"

He hovered over her, their breath mingling. Vita gasped as Antares pinned her other hand, the both of them now locked willingly. It was intoxicating. She was intoxicating. Dropping his head, he let gravity bring them together. Their lips met in a passionate embrace, a practiced one that never failed to excite. Vita responded with equal fervour, her body yielding to his touch, and Antares could feel his heart pounding in his chest. He knew that Vita was doing the same.