1 | Ethan Langdon has really dumb thoughts

Here's what I think about Ethan Langdon: Cute. Nice smile. An absolute idiot.

He leans over the counter of the vintage record store where I work. "Heyy! Lukas, right? Is it Lukas?" He peers at my name tag like he can't remember. In his head he's thinking, Like I could ever forget Lukas Hoffmann.

Did I mention he's the one person in Brambleburg, Forgotten Hollow that can't read minds?

"Yes, that's me." I sigh. "What is it, Ethan?"

"Oh, right, well I just wanted to pick your brain about, um, music! I loved the vinyl you recommended last week," he adds.

I quirk an eyebrow. "Did you listen to it?" I know from his thoughts that he only listens to the latest pop songs on Spotify.

"Of course! We listened to it together right here." He slams his palms down on the counter. "I haven't got a record player at the B&B—oh that reminds me! I really need to buy one. I have one back home of course. there's nothing I love more than records...." Except your pretty blue eyes and your dimples and—

"Of course," I cut in dryly before his thoughts can get away from him. "But it will be difficult to carry it around with you on your...trip, is it?"

"My gap year, yes," he confirms. "I'm visiting all the countries in Europe."

"How many have you been to so far?" I ask. Although, I already know the answer from how often Ethan comes to the store and thinks things around me.

"Oh, Germany is my first! You know, I was with a tour group exploring The Black Forest, Schwarzwald, and we were biking, but then I saw a red deer! Or maybe it was a squirrel; it was too far away to tell," Ethan rambles. "So I followed it and I got very lost for a while...I couldn't find my tour group. But then I came upon this town!" He smiles widely.

"You must have strayed far," I say, keeping my face neutral.

Everyone in Brambleburg knows Ethan's story by now. He's the first person from the outside world to have stumbled in on us. And all because he was chasing what was either a deer or a squirrel. Trust Ethan Langdon to not know the difference.

"So, when are you planning on getting back to your tour?" I try not to let hope colour my voice. During his stay, Ethan has been by the store to disturb me far more than I'd like.

"I've been here a lot longer than I planned," he muses. "But there's just something...magnetizing about this place."

That's what I was afraid of. Brambleburg is shrouded by magic. Ethan has been trapped here for three weeks. He's just too dumb to realize that he's trapped.

"The people here are so nice," he continues. "And the scenery is beautiful." And by scenery I mean the cute record store boy.

"There is a nice lake not far from here," I agree. Honestly, if Ethan thinks any longer, my cheeks are going to turn pink. Most people in Brambleburg are accustomed to not thinking their private thoughts out in public.

"A lake?" He perks up. There's a lake? A romantic lake? Is he inviting me to the romantic lake?

I mentally kick myself. "You won't find it very interesting. Anyway, you wanted to buy a record player?"

"Oh, yes! Since I'll be sticking around a little longer it would be great to get a player." I need an excuse to visit the store more often. "I've really missed listening to my vinyls, you know."

"What specifications are you looking for? For the record player," I clarify when he draws a blank.

"Uhh...." Shit, I should've googled this. "Good sound quality?"

I suck my lip between my teeth as I lead him to the rack of record players. Ethan bounds behind me with a goofy smile on his face.

"This should work for your purposes." I grab the cheapest one at €50.

"That's perfect!" Ethan exclaims. "It's got a really good, uhh...that's the same one I've got back at home actually."

I take him to the cash register and start billing it up. Ethan drums his fingertips on the counter, thinking of a billion things to say. His thoughts rush like fireflies around me as he tries to figure out which would be the most casual and discreet way to flirt.

"Soo...what kind of music do you like, Lukas?"

"My grandma's here, I should go talk to her." I've never been more relieved to hear the thoughts of Isabella, my oma, making her way down the stairs.

"Where?" Ethan turns back quizzically at the empty record store. Isabella takes a moment to appear, visually, and Ethan blinks. How did Lukas know she was coming?

"Umm...I'll come by tomorrow to grab a vinyl then." And I'll get to see Lukas again. His hair is so pretty...I think his eyes change colour everyday.

They really don't. I've had the same colour eyes since the day I was born and Ethan is delusional. We're all still human after all...just mind reading humans.

I smile tightly. "I'll see you tomorrow, Ethan."

______

A/n: aaah I'm so excited about this new book!

Thank you for picking it up, and do consider leaving a vote if you enjoyed it!

^this is just a picture! The voting star is at the bottom left of the screen and turns orange when you click on it

Voting goes a long way in showing this book to new readers, plus it makes me smile! So thank you for supporting ❤️