9 | basically everyone in town ships them at this point

I tap lightly on Mr. Müller's front door. It's barely audible but he hears my thoughts and comes to open it.

"Hello, Lukas. Ethan's still getting ready for your date." He's changing his T-shirt for the fourth time.

"It's not a date," I protest. "Tobias just asked us to come for a movie."

"Of course, my bad." The corner of his mouth lifts in a perceptive smile. "How is Isabella keeping?" I haven't seen her in a while.

I follow Sebastian inside. "Oma is doing fine." She's been thinking about you too.

I bite my lip, shifting my gaze away. I don't really want to get involved in whatever's going on between them. Sebastian gets the hint and tries to shift his thoughts away from her. Unfortunately, the only other thing he can think of is Ethan's constant back and forth on whether or not this is a date.

I can hear him upstairs, looking for his Darth Vader socks. Maybe they're in the dryer. His feet patter down the stairway, and when he sees me he stops short.

"Lukas, you're here! I didn't hear the bell." He looks so dreamy with his blonde hair and blue eyes.

"Hey. Cool T-shirt."

"Yeah. It says Star Wars on it." Why did I say that?? He can clearly see it says Star Wars on it. Ethan has a mental image of smacking his own forehead.

I smile. "Ready to go?"

He finds his socks and we bid goodbye to Mr. Müller. Once outside, Ethan spews random Star Wars facts as we walk down the cobblestone road.

"Did you know the actor who plays Chewbacca plays a Wookiee in this movie? He's Tarrful."

I don't know what any of those words mean but Ethan's excitement is infectious. "Oh really?"

We get to the movie theater. The walls are crammed with classic movie posters, and the scent of buttered popcorn permeates the air. Ethan takes in a deep breath. Popcorn....

"Wanna get some popcorn?" I ask.

"It's like you read my mind," he jokes, not knowing that I did.

"Hey Clara," I greet the girl at the snack counter. We used to go to school together. Everyone knows everyone in this town.

"Ethan!" she exclaims. "I was wondering when you'd drop by. Welcome to town!" Lukas! I've heard a lot about you two!

"Oh...hi." He blinks. "Clara?" How does she know me?

She waves away his confusion. "Tobias said you're coming to watch Star Wars, you don't need to get tickets. Also popcorn's on the house," she adds, a plan suddenly formulating in her mind.

I watch in horror as she grabs the most massive carton and fills it to the brim with buttery popcorn.

"Wow thanks Clara! That's really nice of you."

"It's big enough to share." She sounds pleased with herself. Now you can cutely share popcorn with him...your hands reaching in at the same time. Maybe your fingers will brush....

"Thank you, Clara," I say begrudgingly. I was going to buy two smaller cartons.

"Oh it's no problem at all, Lukas." She sounds smug. The cinema is empty by the way.

What?! Why?

Everyone in town knows about your date. They didn't want to intrude on your, er...thoughts. Don't worry, I'll step outside once the movie starts.

There won't be any need for that—this isn't even a date!

She shrugs. If you say so.... Her mind plays a reel of cute moments of us trying to hold hands, our fingers awkwardly inching closer together like in a cheesy highschool movie.

Stop imagining it!

I can't help it! I just love Love!