Chapter 14-Teach me, Protect her

"Anything interestin' happen lately?" I asked Lulu.

"No...well yeah. Been practicin' archery."

"Oh really?"

"Mhm."

It had been a month and a half. Lulu had taught me how to control my shifting whenever it tries to happen randomly. She had also taught me how to control my speed and my sight.

We were in the middle of the woods, our usual spot, just sitting under a tree. She was sitting on my lap, facing me as I had my back against the tree.

"You should teach me how to handle mah strength," I said, playing with Lulu's hair.

"How? Martial arts?" She snickered.

"Yeah."

"Didn't we take self defense a few years ago?

"Yeah, but that was a few years ago."

Lulu and I would take self-defense almost everyday in 2005. We stopped after a year.

"Well first, let me help you with your hearing."

"When?"

"Now. Give me your hands."

I held out my hands and she placed hers in mine.

"Close your eyes."

I did exactly that.

"Breathe and relax. Focus on hearin' the things around you."

I took a deep breath, concentrating on listening. I listened as I heard birds chirping, they sounded cheerful. I heard bees buzzing in the distance, probably drinking–sucking pollen out of some flowers. Then I heard Lulu's heartbeat. A slow and steady heartbeat. It sounded at ease and in sync with mine.

"What do you hear?" Lulu asked sweetly. I could imagine a smile on her face as she said that.

"Well ah hear nature sounds and our hearts beating," I said, smiling as I said the last part.

"That's interestin'. Thought you would've heard other things that are miles away."

"Yeah well ah was able to focus on one thing this time. Usually it gets crazy when there's too much going on."

Lulu got up from my lap and I also stood up.

"Do you remember de fightin' stances?" She asked, putting her hair in a ponytail–or at least trying to.

"Here let me help," I volunteered, walking up to her. I took the scrunchie from her hand and worked my magic on her hair. "And yes, but only uh few."

After I was done, I turned her face towards me softly. My eyes went to her lips then her eyes.

'Don't do it Jake.'

I kept staring at her for a few seconds longer.

'Focus Jake focus!'

"Whut's on your mind?" Lulu asked. She stepped away before I answered.

"Uh n-nothin'," I stuttered nervously.

She shook her head and told me to get in a back stance position. She showed me how to do it correctly. She started testing how well I can do each position.

"Now do the fighting stance," She commanded, getting into position. She held up her hands, which were balled into fists like she was getting ready to fight. I copied her move and made eye contact with her.

"Now ah'm goin' to swing at you and ah want you to dodge it."

'Ah remember this move.'

She swung her fist at me and I quickly dodged it. She swung again, but her fist actually connected. I didn't react, I just smiled a little and did the same.