ch-3 (aahna)

"What? Aahna, why?" he exclaimed, his voice laced with surprise.

I took a deep breath, meeting his gaze with determination. "Yes, Bhai. I said yes because..." i paused, collecting my thoughts, aware that my decision would impact not only my life but the dynamics of our family. "Because, Bhai, I know our families have this tradition, and dada ji promised too and it's important to them. I want to respect that. But more than that, I said yes because I believe that love is not confined to whether a marriage is arranged or not. Love is something we create, and I want to believe that I can shape my own love story, no matter how unconventional the beginning might be."

Rudra's expression softened as he processed my reasoning. "Aahna, you deserve to be happy, and I just want to make sure this is what you truly want. You're not doing it just because it's expected, right?"

I smiled, grateful for my brother's concern. "No, Bhai. I'm doing it because I believe in my ability to navigate my own journey, even if it starts with an arranged marriage. I want to make the best of it and find my happiness along the way.

Rudra's eyes softened, his protective instincts kicking in. "Alright, Chipmunk. If this is what you want, then I'm with you every step of the way. Just promise me one thing – if at any point you feel uncomfortable or unhappy, you'll speak up, okay?"

I nodded, grateful for his unwavering support. "I promise, Bhai. Thank you."

As the weight of my decision settled upon me, I couldn't shake off the nervous flutter in my stomach. Yet, amidst the uncertainty, there was a glimmer of hope – the hope of carving out my own path, of finding love in unexpected places, and of creating a story that was uniquely mine.

With newfound resolve, I looked around at my family, their expressions a mix of apprehension and acceptance. "Arranged or not, I'll make my own love story," I declared, a hint of defiance in my voice.

My parents exchanged glances, a silent acknowledgment of the journey that lay ahead. "We'll support you every step of the way, beta," my mom assured me, her voice filled with warmth and encouragement.

As the news of my decision spread through the family, my cousin, Ritika, couldn't contain her excitement. She burst into the room, her energy infectious.

"Ana di! You said yes? Omggg, what's happening? My dear cousin sister is getting married! But why so soon? I haven't even planned the bachelorette yet!" Ritika exclaimed, her eyes wide with excitement.

I chuckled at her dramatic entrance, appreciating the comic relief she always brought into any situation. "Ritika, calm down. It's not happening tomorrow. And, well, it's an arranged thing. You know how our families are," I explained, trying to downplay the intensity of the moment.

Ritika paused, her expression shifting from excitement to mock seriousness. "Arranged, schmarranged! You're breaking all the rules, Ana di. I thought we were the rebels in this family!"

I rolled my eyes, accustomed to Ritika's over-the-top antics. "Ritika, it's not about being a rebel. It's about respecting our family's traditions while also creating our own path."

She plopped down on my bed, crossing her legs. "Oh, Ana di, you're turning into the wise philosopher now, aren't you? Next, you'll be giving me relationship advice."

I laughed, knowing Ritika always had a way of injecting humor into even the most serious discussions. "Who knows, Ritika? Maybe arranged marriages are the new trend, and you'll be the first to follow."

She gasped dramatically. "Me? Marry someone I didn't pick from a lineup of eligible bachelors? Never!"

I chuckled at Ritika's theatrical gasp, playing along with her antics. "Oh, come on, Ritika! Imagine the excitement of an arranged groom, handpicked by our expert matchmaking aunties. You might just find your Prince Charming in the most unexpected package!"

Ritika raised an eyebrow, her eyes twinkling mischievously. "Prince Charming? More like Prince 'Can't Even Pick His Own Outfit'! I have standards, Ana di!"

"you got a point there though" I laughed, realizing that Ritika's sense of humor was a much-needed distraction from the seriousness of the situation.

As Ritika continued her animated banter, my cousin Aarav, the cold and introverted counterpart to Ritika's liveliness, appeared at the door with a stoic expression.

"di badi Maa told me to tell you to get ready. We're going to match kundalis," he informed me, referring to my maa. 

I nodded in acknowledgment, the gravity of the situation sinking in. "Okay, Aarav. I'll get ready."

Ritika, always quick to add her unique touch to any conversation, interjected with her craziness. "Aarav, bhai, tell them to match the compatibility of my playlist with the wedding songs too. It's crucial!"

Aarav, unamused by Ritika's antics, simply rolled his eyes. "Ritika, this is serious stuff. Don't make it more complicated than it already is."

I couldn't help but smile at the sibling dynamic between Ritika and Aarav – two extremes coexisting in their own quirky way. As Aarav left the room, I turned to Ritika, shaking my head. "You really know how to add drama to everything, don't you?"

Ritika grinned mischievously. "Oh come on, Ana di, life is dull without a bit of drama.

**************

I got ready, choosing to wear a simple yet elegant anarkali. The soft fabric flowed gracefully, and I opted for a loose bun, adding a touch of simplicity to the occasion. As I completed my look, I took a deep breath, mentally preparing myself for the kundali matching ritual.

 As I completed my look, I took a deep breath, mentally preparing myself for the kundali matching ritual

Just as I finished adjusting my attire, my brother, Rudra, entered the room. His protective gaze softened as he observed me. "You look beautiful, Chipmunk," he complimented, a hint of pride in his voice.

I smiled, grateful for his words of encouragement. "Thanks, Bhai. Let's get through this kundali matching and see what the stars have in store for us."

Rudra nodded, his overprotective instincts surfacing once again. "Remember, Ana, if at any point you feel uncomfortable or if things don't seem right, speak up. We're in this together, okay?"

I nodded, appreciating my brother's unwavering support. "I will, Bhai. Thanks for always having my back."