Chapter 23

"Can you give me my stapler?" I ask my brother as he unpacks one of our boxes

"Sure." He reaches into it and pulls out the stapler carefully throwing it in my direction. I manage to catch it and mumble a simple 'thank you'.

I look around our new office and take in the beautiful few we have.

We are a level lower than Athena, but the view is still amazing. We are not very far up but there is no huge building blocking our widows. We can see Central Park and the skyscraper on the other side. It's actually comforting not to be lost in the middle of the city with no trees.

Even though they're missing leaves, the trees air out the space and make it more peaceful. Inside the office we have two desks placed in a L shape together. Theo and I each have our space to work but we still easily can access the other's work and discuss it.

We also have a black couch and a huge shelf with binders and books about economy. There also are a few plants in there but I think those will die quickly because neither I nor Theo will remember to water them.

"Hey, could you take this up to Athena please?" I look up to see that Theo is handing me the filled-out paperwork. I suddenly remember the last time I had those papers in Athena's office. How she was beautifully standing her ground. Hating me, but oh so adorably deepening the kiss when I pushed her against the wall. I don't know what came over me but, in the moment, I had to do something, I had to get my hands on her. If not to hurt her, then to kiss her, feel her, touch her. "Ares?"

"Can't you do it yourself"

"Oh come on don't be a fucking baby." I roll my eyes and snap the papers out of his hand getting out of the office and taking the stairs to get to the thirteenth floor. I close the door of the stairs behind me and cross the lobby to Athena's office. As I get there, I open the door and see Athena sitting on the couch. She has headphones and her hand buried in her hands. The phone is placed on the table in front of her, with it is a file with a big red 'classified' on it. I look at the caller ID a little too curiously and see the name 'Roger'. I don't know any Roger, but I think it must be important enough because there is also a half-empty bottle in front of her. Just next to the phone, the glass she drinks from is filled up.

"Yeah, I understand." She whispers and lifts her head, gasping when she sees me. "I got to go Roger."

I take a few steps forward and head for her desk, putting the paperwork on it. I wait a second before turning around and seeing her headphones on the table. She ended the call. I stare at her, not really knowing what to say. I don't even know if I need to say anything.

"What are you doing here?"

"Just dropping off the paperwork." She chuckles darkly and gets up with her glass in her hand, she takes a few steps closer to me.

"I meant, what are you still doing here?" She stops just in front of me, and I lean back, resting against the edge of her desk.

"How much did you have to drink?" I point at the bottle, and she looks over her shoulder.