Chapter 10 : Breaking News

Present Time.

As Leonard looked back on the climactic showdown that had taken place ten long months ago, the memories still haunted him. His father's wise words had guided him towards a life of secrecy and cunning, constantly guarding his newfound powers from the curious gaze of society. Every day was a struggle for Leonard, grappling with the heavy responsibility of keeping his extraordinary abilities hidden even from those he trusted most, his best friend Allen and his childhood friend Jennifer.

Lost in the solitude of his own thoughts, Leonard found comfort in exploring the depths of his powers. Seeking understanding, he retreated to an abandoned & empty place beyond the city limits where he could experiment and push the boundaries of his superhuman strength. He tried measuring the limits of his powers.

He started exercising to keep up with the changes happening in his body. But even as he tirelessly tested his abilities, one thing remained out of reach – the ability to fly. With mounting frustration and a mind full of unanswered questions, Leonard struggled to unlock this elusive power. However he tried, he just couldn't fly.

Here, Allen was also living a secret life. As he struggled inwardly, torn by the guilt of hiding his extraordinary powers from Leonard, he painstakingly navigated each day with the weight of his secret weighing heavily on his shoulders. He was haunted by the realization that he was keeping the truth from his closest friend.

11 Months Later.

Allen's father, Barry Conners took on the esteemed role of police commissioner of Edenvale. His relentless determination in hunting down those responsible for illegal experiments run by the former A-class hero Polar, and suspension of various criminal organizations gained him renown and a well-deserved promotion. The police had now started to focus only on the criminal gangs. They had however stopped searching for the masked-man due to lack of clues & leads.

Despite the peaceful surroundings, a lingering unease permeated the air. The unexpected vanishing of the masked hero had created a void within the hearts of the public, sparking gossip and confusion. Despite GHA authorities' reduced efforts to capture the elusive vigilante, for director Patrick Wayne, there remained a sense of the possibility of his reappearance.

The villain organizations and underworld mafias ceased their search, deeming it futile. They concluded that pursuing the masked hero was not worth the resources and risk involved. With their attention diverted elsewhere, they shifted focus to more pressing endeavors, leaving the masked hero to fade into obscurity.

Present Day, 30th June 2019

Time : 09:30 AM

One Sunday morning, Leonard, Allen, and Jennifer were seated in the living room, engaged in casual conversation while Alfred, the butler, bustled about preparing coffee for the group.

Apart from the guilt of keeping secrets from his friends, there was one thing that gave Leonard some satisfaction. It was the feeling that finally the nation got rid of the cruel superhero, Polar.

However, the very next moment, the cozy atmosphere in Leonard's house was disrupted by the arrival of George.

As George entered the room with a sense of urgency, his tensed expression immediately caught everyone's attention. He asked Leonard,

" Lenny, turn on the television and tune in to the news quickly."

Leonard immediately did what was asked. On the news channel the scene broadcasted was enough to make one's stomach turn. It was shown that three limp figures, trussed up with rope and drenched in blood all over, were hanged on a huge billboard on the first street.

Spike, an A-class hero, the brave defender of the GHA, who was hanged beside the ex-commissioner of Edenvale, Piers Morgan. The third dead-body however remained unknown. All 3 men had severe wounds all over their bodies. Their eyes were gouged out. It was evident that these men had a very painful and merciless death.

As the camera honed in on the ghastly words etched in crimson upon the billboard, a heavy sense of foreboding settled over the audience.

"THE PROFESSOR WILL BEGIN HIS RETRIBUTION", the spine-chilling declaration proclaimed, causing a collective shudder to run through the room. These words were written with the very blood of the three men hanged above.

What was once a peaceful Sunday morning in Leonard's house, filled with the promise of relaxation and companionship, was now tainted with the looming threat of violence and terror. Leonard's heart sank as he came to the realization that the city had once again plunged into darkness, and the looming shadows of uncertainty threatened to consume its peace.

At the crime scene, police arrived along with ambulances. The news quickly reached the GHA director's office as well as at the President's office. Everyone was shocked to see the gory visuals on the television.

The police brought down the men safely on to the ground and put them on stretchers to send for forensic procedure. The media persons and citizens were removed from the area. The police or the GHA officials however couldn't identify the third individual who had died along with the other two prominent figures.

The media began to question the GHA and police for citizen's safety. Commissioner Barry was pissed at the situation since it was shameful for an ex-cop to die such a gruesome death. He was also feeling dejected as the ex-commissioner was his good friend and also his mentor.

Finally Commissioner Barry reached the location along with the GHA director.

As the words on the billboard dangled in the air, a deafening stillness consumed the place, suffocating its occupants. Every single face mirrored a tumultuous blend of emotions- shock, fear, and uncertainty. The sudden appearance of a figure shrouded in mystery, referred to only as "The Professor",  had ignited a widespread sense of unease in Edenvale.

.

.

.

To be continued...!

!