EIGHT. fire and gold

     FLORENCE LACED the shoes around her ankles and finally rested her hands against the table and pressed her chin against it

     FLORENCE LACED the shoes around her ankles and finally rested her hands against the table and pressed her chin against it. Her leg bounced up and down as random people continued to enter the diner, none of them Percy and Annabeth.

Yes, they had just departed, but she didn't know if they were going to come back alive, she didn't know if one would come back and not the other.

She already lost her mother and her father, so she couldn't lose Percy as well.

Florence sighed, sitting upright and rubbing her hands down the sides of her jeans as her grey jacket fell down her shoulder.

She turned, seeing the people in the diner minding their business, and wished she could do the same, but then she stopped a phone in the far right corner and began to stand.

"Ah," Ares called. "where are you going?"

"To piss in my hands a clap." She barked. "I'm going to use the phone. It's right there, you won't catch me sneaking out."

Before Ares could argue back with her, she stepped away from the table and made her way over to the phone. She dug through her pockets for some loose change and found roughly two dollars in change in her pocket.

She gently slid the four coins into the slot and let the phone ring... and ring... and ring... until the phone was picked up.

"Hello?"

Florence smiled, holding the phone to her ear as she pressed her back against the dirty window of the diner.

"Hey, it's me."

Florence's smile fell slightly as she heardmuttering and shuffling in the background, but nothing that she could decipher.

"Hey, Flo." Matthew smiled, the phone pressed against his ear. "Sorry, I'm busy at the moment-"

"So you can't talk?"

"No, I can't." He huffed. "I can I promise. I saw the news. How's everything?"

Florence sighed. "Uh, I think I died for a moment and now Percy and Annabeth are off to get this shield for Ares-"