chapter 18

Chloe could only stare at Beca. Had she remembered? She had called her by her name. The brunette took another tentative step forward, her dirty barefeet barely making a sound in the wet leaves.

"It is Chloe isn't it?"

Chloe's heart sunk. She forced a smile to her face, sure that it actually looked more like a grimace than anything. She straightened her back and stepped towards the brunette in a friendly way.

"Yeah, Beca. It's me. What are you doing here?"

Beca visibly relaxed. "Oh thank God. I was worried that I'd gotten your name wrong." She smiled sheepishly, unknowingly breaking Chloe's heart. She didn't remember her.

"Beca, what are you doing here? You're meant to be in hospital. You're not well."

What Chloe didn't expect, however, was the look of anger that crossed Beca's face.

"So what? Nobody cared! I was alone in that hospital! Nobody would tell me anything! Everyone made me feel like I was too weak and incompetent!" Chloe tried to ignore how beautiful the brunette looked when she was mad. Chloe hadn't realised that she had been staring until Beca's frown dropped and she looked at Chloe anxiously. "Umm, Chloe?"

"Hm?"

"You're staring. Do I have something on my face?"

Chloe snapped out of her daze, a blush covering her face. Beca's eyebrow rose as a smirk graced her features. God she's so like the old Beca, Chloe thought. "I was thinking. You said how nobody would tell you anything. Well fine. I'll tell you whatever you want to know as long as afterwards you go back to the hospital and get better." Chloe stepped forward and boldly took Beca's hand within her own. "I promise you I won't leave you again."

The sincerity in Chloe's voice shocked Beca, but the opportunity to find out some of the answers to her questions was too much of an opportunity to miss out on. She smiled at the beautiful redhead before her. "Fine. But also as long as we can go somewhere to eat. Im starving and hospital food is just awful." Chloe laughed and Beca tried to ignore the butterflies that were fluttering around her stomach at not only the sound of such beauty, but at their close proximity. She blushed and pulled away, motioning Chloe to lead the way.