3. Echoes of Destiny

Freen's heart quickened with excitement at the prospect of exploring the palace and uncovering its hidden secrets. Her intuition tingled with the presence of spirits lingering within the walls, their whispers beckoning her closer.

Beside her, Becky's expression was a mask of skepticism, her scientific mind analyzing the surroundings for rational explanations. She observed the architecture with keen interest, noting the intricate details and structural integrity of the ancient building.

As they approached the gate, it creaked open with an eerie groan, as if welcoming them into its embrace.

Freen took a deep breath, her senses alive with anticipation. "Are you ready for this, Becky?" she asked, turning to her reluctant partner.

Becky nodded, her jaw set with determination. "As ready as I'll ever be," she replied, her voice tinged with uncertainty.

Together, they stepped through the gates and into the unknown, their journey into the heart of the haunted palace just beginning. Little did they know, the secrets that awaited them within would challenge their beliefs, test their courage, and forever change the course of their lives.

As they reached the palace gates, the atmosphere outside grew increasingly turbulent. The loud thunderstorm could be heard in the distance, and the wind howled miserably, whipping dirt into Freen's eyes as she struggled to keep them open.

The gate of the palace immediately closed behind them, trapping them inside like they had been caged in the palace forever. It was a chilling sight. The light they were holding fell to the ground, illuminating a large painting on the walls of the palace. Freen and Becky's eyes widened in shock as they beheld the painting—it depicted two women who bore an uncanny resemblance to them.

Their gaze met, and Freen felt a shiver run down her spine. Was this their destiny? Drawing closer to the painting, they examined it with trembling hands. At the bottom, in bold letters, were the words 'Anilaphat loves Pilanthita'.

They exchanged a look of disbelief, as if seeking confirmation that what they were seeing was real

They exchanged a look of disbelief, as if seeking confirmation that what they were seeing was real. Freen rubbed her eyes twice, but the painting remained unchanged. Was it Renaissance?

Suddenly, the lights of the palace flickered to life, illuminating the grand interior as if it had been waiting for their arrival. Freen noticed Becky's injured foot, still bleeding, so they hurried to find a room to rest.

They settled in one of the palace's rooms, where Freen tended to Becky's wound. After cleaning it, Freen suggested they find something to eat.

Becky nodded weakly, and Freen assured her, "Don't move. I'll bring the food to you. Just lie down, okay?"

Becky complied, and as Freen headed to the kitchen, Becky's thoughts swirled with questions about the painting and their strange surroundings. Could it be a sign of reincarnation? She found herself inexplicably trusting Freen.

Meanwhile, Freen pondered why the chairman had chosen them for this case. It seemed he had already seen the painting and wanted them to work together.

In the kitchen, Freen discovered some groceries and began to prepare a meal. To her surprise, the vegetables began to cut themselves and cook on their own. Freen realized there was a spirit in the palace, tasked with cooking. With a newfound sense of ease, she continued to prepare the meal.

Once ready, Freen brought the food to Becky, who was amazed at the delicious spread before her.

"Did you really cook this?" Becky asked incredulously.

Freen responded sarcastically, "No, the ghost prepared it."

Becky chuckled, "Are you already hallucinating spirits? So how many have you encountered?"

Freen sighed, realizing Becky's skepticism hadn't wavered. "It's not fun, Becky. Just eat this medicine and get some rest. I'll be in the next room."

Becky protested, "What next room? You promised to stay with me. My mom said you have to take care of me, and since I can't even walk, you're not allowed to leave the room."

Freen frowned but acquiesced, "So you want me to sleep on the floor?"

Becky insisted, "No, sleep beside me."

Surprised by Becky's request, Freen asked, "Are you in your senses, Rebecca?"

Becky smiled softly, "Of course, Freen. Your beliefs may differ from mine, but you're truly kind. Just stay here for tonight."

Freen nodded, feeling a sense of warmth between them, despite their differences, as they settled in for the night.

---