The Insect Pillar

Word Count: 1412

✧༺♥༻✧

Shinobu scanned the room looking for any intruders. She took note of the open window that kept pushing fragrant wisteria-scented air through it.

Her eyes widened when she saw Kyojuro lying on one of the beds. He was shirtless and bleeding out. The intruder no longer mattered, not when Kyojuro was slowly dying.

She quickly sheathed her katana, ran to the bedside, and saw some medical supplies already gathered on the side table. Strange, but she didn't have time to think about it.

She examined Kyojuro and saw that his stitches had re-opened.

How did he possibly do that?

She would ask questions later. Once he woke up Shinobu would have to talk with him. . . But for now, she would work on stitching him back up again.

✧༺♥༻✧

Akaza lay perfectly still under the bed as the woman, made quick work of cleaning and stitching up Kyojuro's wound. He didn't dare look over to see how Senjuro was doing, fearful of any small noise he may make.

The stillness was starting to become unbearable though. His eyes watered and his throat was itchy from the wisteria floating through the window. He might not make it if she didn't get out soon. He wouldn't die, but he may cough from the air.

Akaza held his breath when he knew the next gulp full of air would lead to a coughing fit. He could live without breathing for a while, it'd just be painful.

He couldn't get caught. Who knows how this woman would react? It could get ugly and Akaza just wanted to avoid confrontation.

Finally, the woman stepped away from her work and, walked out of the room. Akaza took the first opportunity and slid out from under the bed. He didn't have time to check on Kyojuro, he'd have to trust her work. 

Senjuro was out in a matter of seconds. Akaza didn't wait for Senjuro to look at how his brother was. Akaza just picked him up and they flew out the window.

As Akaza ran through the trees he could feel the poison tickling his lungs. That would take a while to heal. . . His endurance would be worse from now on but he'd have to accept it.

Finally, The Rengoku Home came into view. And not a moment too soon. Akaza collapsed into the grass as soon as he put Senjuro down. Akaza was breathing hard. His eyes were watering and the area around it was turning purple.

Senjuro could tell the wisteria had greatly affected him. "Are you okay, Akaza?" Senjuro asked, worried for his health.

It took a moment for Akaza to answer. "The wisteria. . . It got in my lungs. I can barely breathe."

"Can I do anything to help?" Senjuro looked around for anything he could help Akaza with.

"Nope, I've just got to suffer through it."

Senjuro looked torn between leaving and staying with Akaza outside. The sun would be up soon. They had spent too much time at The Butterfly Estate.

"Okay. You can stay in my house today, but you must stay hidden. My dad is a former hashira. He will KILL you if he finds an uppermoon demon in his house."