Chapter 11 The Bermuda Triangle

Melchior felt sore all over, who knew training could be so tiring, the constant muscle movement, the mental strain, not to mention the sweat, the only salt water Melchior wasn't happy to have on his skin.

The only thing that made the training worthwhile was Casmir, his constant jokes and taunting that made training feel like a huge game of fun that just required more work than regular fun.

Not to mention his smile, his eyes like silver rings watching Melchior in admiration, his tender hands that always pulled Melchior up each time he fell to the mat in Katarina's training room.

"Why are you wearing shorts?"

Melchior looked up to see Bloom standing and staring down at him, he had become accustomed to mortal clothing, the shorts were comfortable and allowed his legs some air unlike the trousers he wore back at the Fey, and the large hoodie made him feel like a caterpillar in a cocoon.

Not to mention everything he wore smelt like Casmir, like cigarettes and incense.

"I'm trying to…what are the words, ah yes, fit in" Melchior said.

Bloom smiled and sat down with him on the stairs, her body inches away from his.

"You have been training" Bloom said. "You have never shown much interest in fighting before"

"We both know how it is back at home, I am not allowed to learn how to fight, I am…different"

Bloom sighed and pulled Melchior closer, her hand combing through his hair.

Melchior knew that their peers back at the Fey often mistook Bloom as terrifying or without compassion because of how dangerous she could be, but no one saw the vulnerability that lay underneath all that toughness, the kindness that was just under the surface.

"Things will change in the Fey Melchior, I promise you will have a place there" Bloom said.

"There is no assurance in your words Bloom, you know that" he said.

"I know, but is it not better to have hope?"

Melchior pulled away from Bloom and stood from his place on the stairs, he looked down at his best friend, his soul sister and shook his head.

"To simply hope is not enough, therefore I must take advantage of the opportunity placed before me, I must do something."

She reached out her hand, he took it and hauled her up to her feet.

"Then I am with you always Melchior, forever and always"

Melchior smiled and nodded, he knew she'd be, Bloom was the only constant in his life, and he had vowed that he would remain a constant in her’s as well.

Just then there was a sharp knock on the door, Melchior and Bloom looked at each other and then rushed down the stairs to the living room.

Casmir and Katarina were already there, staring at the door hopefully but with caution.

"Who is it?" Melchior asked.

"We don't know yet." Katarina said.

"It could be him, it could be Sal." Casmir said.

"You don't know that." said Katarina.

The knock came again, harder this time.

Bloom rolled her eyes and walked to the door.

"Then why not open it and find out" she said.

When no one protested, she opened the door.

Late afternoon sunlight streamed in as the door flew open, there was someone standing in the doorway, their head bent, their tall shadow cast across the tiled floor.