Chapter 12

KATE

As I arrive home, the smell of something delicious greets me. And the many voices. Curious, I take off my helmet and shoes, and tiptoe my way inside. I head for the kitchen first, since that's where usually Mom would be. And I was right. Standing in a nice pastel yellow blouse and some beige pants, my Mom fusses around a great looking roast chicken.

"Hey, Mom", I greet her with a kiss on her cheek.

She brushes one of me forehead, then asks. "Would you be a dear and grab that basket of bread, Katie?"

I nod, taking the basket she asked for. She then takes the platter with the chicken in her hands and leads the way to the dining area, where I notice Dad in front of the cabinet with the drinks.

"Hi, Dad", I let out, hugging him once after I placed the bread on the table.

"Hey, sweetie", he replies. He then takes out a fancy bottle of red, and I can't help but hide my surprise. That bottle is my Mom's favorite red, my parents only have it at very special occasions.

"Are we celebrating something?", I ask.

Dad nods, a smile on his face. "Aaron said he has some good news."

"Aaron is home?", I ask surprised. He told me he'd be out with some friends today.

"Yeah, plans changed", Dad answers, as if reading my mind. "He's here. So is..."

Yet he doesn't finish that sentence, for I already hear a familiar voice calling: "Katie".

I turn around and see Liv running down the stairs to me. In a nice purple floral dress, a pastel purple cardigan on top, her hair as always falling free down her shoulders (she never has it in a bun or ponytail), some fluffy white socks on her feet, she looks great. As she's close, she throws herself in my arms and even wraps her feet around my waist, pointing towards her good mood.

"Liv", I let out, a bright smile on my face. I hug her tight for a while before I let her go and she comes back with her feet on the ground. "I didn't know you'd be here", I let out. "Otherwise I would have come sooner."

"It's alright", she replies. "Aaron and I just got here." She notices Mom carrying some heavy looking platters of rice and vegetables, and asks her: "Can I help you, Laurie?"

"Don't worry about it, honey", Mom replies. "Those were the last platters anyway." She looks around the room, at how we are only her, Liv, Dad and I. "What you could do is get that son of mine. It is his big evening after all."

"What happened?", I ask Liv, deciding to follow her upstairs to get Aaron.

Liv shrugs. "I don't know. Your parents are the only ones to know apart from Aaron. He said he'll break the big news over dinner for us."

"Was he happy?", I ask her.

She nods. "I guess. He also seemed pretty lost in his thoughts, so I don't know. We were at the park before we came here."

I smile at her. It feels nice seeing her happy. She deserves it. Most of anyone.

Liv knocks at the door and Aaron opens it in a few seconds. My bestie quickly finds herself in a hug, a kiss on the top of her head. Then one of her lips.

My brother is so smitten with her.

"Dinner is ready, Hotshot", she says. He chuckles, brushing a kiss on her temple as he takes her hand and starts walking to the dining room.

"Hey Katie", he greets me on the way. "How was training?" Liv also widens her eyes at me, as if she'd also like to know.

"It was great. Mae and I came up with a choreography for the Sports Day", I say. Aaron nods agreeing, yet Liv tilts her head at me as he's not looking, showing me she questions something having happened. I mouth a "Later" at her and she gets it.