Chapter 36

CALLUM

I don't leave Katie out of my sight as the game ended. I couldn't. Not with Hawkeye around. Truth to be told, I can't take credit for the nickname. It was Henry's idea, when I told him what last happened between Aaron and I. But the nickname kinda stuck, so now we're rolling with it.

Katie is plastered at my side, her arms around me, my arm around her shoulder. After we kissed and everybody found out about us, I couldn't leave her next to her psycho ex, so I asked her to come to sit with me. We obviously had no free space, so she sat on my lap during the rest of the game. She was shaking with her whole body at how her brother looked at her with disappointment, anger and disgrace, so I tried to keep her mind off him by making her tell me about her day, her favorite ice cream, recipe, literally anything.

We're now in the hallway, hanging out with my hockey team. The guys quickly took her in, telling us they saw it coming ever since that Workshop on Sports Day. Said I never got worked up about any other person like this.

I only nodded. I'm not keeping the fact I love my girlfriend a secret. I'm a lucky bastard being able to be with Katie, and I know it.

"Did Cap already give you a jersey with his name and all?", Patrick, our Left Defensemen asks.

Katie chuckles, looking up at me. "I got his hoodie." She took it after the date at my place, the one when she met my parents. I couldn't live knowing that hoodie was not with her. She snuck it at home in her backpack.

"Wow, such a gentleman", Henry teases. "Do you want my hoodie too?"

"Don't push your luck", I hiss at him.

He chuckles, going back tongue-deep into a blonde he met in the stands five minutes ago.

"SLADE", a voice tones throughout the hall. Me, Katie and the entire team turn to look, to see Aaron standing there. Olivia is nowhere to be seen, neither is Liam.

"Cal, you don't have to go", Katie whispers in my ear, already shaking with fear. "Babe, please", she continues. "He's angry, please don't go."

Aaron comes closer, his eyes giving Katie a disappointed look, before landing on me again. "We need to talk."

"Don't bring Katie into this", I tell him. I already have an idea how our conversation will look like, and it's nothing she should see.

"She is free to stay here", Aaron answers. "You will be enough."

"Cal", Katie tugs on my sleeve. "Cal, look at me", she almost shouts. I meet her eyes, and she places her hand on my cheek to keep my face in place. "Cal, don't go. Please."

"Don't worry, little sis. Your boyfriend will be fine", Aaron tells her. Only his tone. He clearly didn't mean the last sentence.

"Henry", I call for my best friend. I notice the blonde has disappeared, Henry being directly behind me for some time now. "Could you please take care of Katie for a bit?"

"Cal, no", my girlfriend lets out broken.

I cup her face in my palms, saying: "It's fine. I'll be fine." Then, whispering inside her ear: "If we don't talk now, he'll never get over this." I put some distance, so I can meet her eyes. That beautiful shade of blue, reminding of the sky on a sunny day, now is clouded with worries. "I love you, Katie Blake."

"I love you too, Callum Slade", she whispers before kissing me.

As I let go, I follow Aaron. He leads me outside, in a quiet corner of the stadium where no one usually comes. Another sign very few talking will be involved.