Chapter 21

KATE

"I have a bad feeling about this", Vee tells me as we arrive in front of the house. The brown walls are familiar, from the many times I came here. Olivia lives with her aunt in an one-story house, not that far away from where I live. I notice that Isla's car is gone, meaning Liv must be here alone right now. Isla, Liv's aunt, works as a nurse in the night shift, yet also sometimes takes some shifts during the day. She's been doing everything she can to help give Liv a normal life, working double than any person should. I can see my bestie feeling guilty about it at times, yet Isla always tries to convince her she shouldn't and that she is only working so hard because she loves her.

"Me too", I whisper.

Vee and I share a look before we both lean our bikes against the wall and I take out my bag from the basket, the one I filled with what Vee and I baked this morning. She slept over at my house yesterday after Sports Day and we agreed to visit Liv in the morning. We made her favorite caramel cupcakes, some brownies and even pancakes. Vee insisted we also do something remotely healthy so we went for some cucumber sandwiches.

Vee helps me carry the things by taking two trays off my arms and I thank her with a smile, before we walk over to the entrance and Vee rings the doorbell. I don't know how she ain't freezing in her small black skirt, the black boots and a Lana hoodie, while little me is in some baggy jeans, pink sambas, a white blouse, pink cardigan, and a vintage brown leather jacket.

"Think someone is there-", Vee wants to ask as the door flies open and my breath halts.

Standing in front of us is Liv, her blue eyes faded red from crying, her hair up in a messy bun, the white rib top she was wearing covered by an artist apron, a pair of pastel green shorts underneath, a paintbrush in her hand, paint covering her fingers. Because her hair is up, one can see the long scar on the backside of her neck, the reason why she never wears her hair in a clip or ponytail at school.

"Katie, Vee", she says, tucking a strand that was falling loose out of her bun behind her ear. "I didn't know you were coming over. I'm so sorry", she adds, pointing at herself. Her voice is shaking, another hint she was crying.

"Damn right we were", Vee says, putting the trays on the postbox for a bit so she can give Liv a long squeezing hug. "You could have called us."

"You weren't supposed to be here", Liv mumbles, a tear rolling down her face.

As the two let go, I pass the trays I was holding to Vee, so I can also hug Liv. "You okay, sweetie?"

She doesn't answer, only nods. I take that as a no.

As we let go, I plaster an encouraging smile on my face and say, with all the happiness I could force: "We brought you breakfast."

Five minutes later we're standing in their kitchen, trays of food on their kitchen counter, Vee and I sitting on the bar chairs in front of it while Liv fusses around, taking out some plates. "You shouldn't have done this", she says for the at least hundredth time. "This is more food than Isla and I could ever eat."

"Good thing Katie and I are here to help you with that exact matter then", Vee tries to crack a joke. It seems to have worked since Liv laughs at it and I also have to smile.

"Where is Isla, by the way?", I ask her. It doesn't sound like her to leave Liv alone crying. Isla loves the shit out of her.

"She had to run an errand in the city", Liv answers. "She managed to get a shift at the pharmacy and she was going to stop at the grocery shop then."

I nod, now things making sense.

"How was Sports Day?", Liv asks in return. "I'm sorry I couldn't come. I had to help my aunt with something."